If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter Bulbs

I am not a gardening expert but I do like winter bulbs.
I really like amaryllis bulbs. They grow so fast and when they bloom, have big showy red flowers.
This year, I got 2 bulb kits at Lowes.
One is amaryllis and the other is paper whites or narcissus.

The paper white kit had 4 bulbs in it. One of the bulbs started growing right away and is already blooming. But the other 3 waited awhile before they decided to grow. Frankly, the paper white is very pretty but it has a very strong sweet scent that I just don't care for at all.
Next year, I will just buy amaryllis bulbs, not a kit, and use my own pots and soil.

Vintage Amaryllis
Nina - I think she is about 4 in this picture , posing with an amaryllis and several other doo-dads. She has always been a big smiler!

We were at Lowes yesterday and they have their bulb kits on clearance 25% off. I expect after Christmas they will be 50% or more off. So if you are looking for bargain flowers, this might be the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie Nina was as a little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love forcing bulbs and do so every winter. I miss my garden in winter and try to have a little something growing inside at that time. I'll have stop by my Lowe's and see if they're on sale too. I noticed the ones at Target were already growing out of their pots!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐