If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Sunday, January 22, 2012

2 recipes and 2 Cath Kidston bags

 How does a simple, low cost, low calorie dessert sound?

I read about this butter and oil free bar cookie recipe on Sunny Simple Life, she read about it on the Cozy Little Kitchen  and she says the recipe is from an older Paula Deen cookbook.  
I was not expecting this recipe to be good but it really is!  It got thumbs up from the 6 family members that ate them - the only complaint is it makes a small recipe so they ran out pretty fast. 

  Brown Sugar Bars

1 egg
1 c. brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped pecans or other nuts 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Grease an 8 in. square pan. (I used Pam .)
Stir together egg, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. 

Stir together flour, soda and salt in a smaller bowl.
Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.  
Add most of the nuts.
Spread in pan and sprinkle on the rest of the nuts.
Bake for 18-20 minutes.  
The batter will puff up and get golden around the edges, but stay very moist inside.  
Let cool, then cut into bars or squares.
You can sprinkle the top with powdered sugar but I left ours plain- they tasted delicious plain.  

I will be making these again and again!  

I know nuts are expensive but we get usually have pecans from my parents,  I buy walnuts and almonds at Sams so this is not an expensive recipe for me anyway.  



My birthday is in December and my parents gave me some cash.
I have looked at several Cath Kidston catalogs, liked most everything in them, but mostly liked their handbags.  After Christmas,  they had a sale I could not resist- the bags I wanted were about 50% off - 
so I happily ordered 2 with my birthday money.  
pretty wrapper- yes,  I saved the bags from both shipments
They came all the way from England and I had to wait 3 weeks! 

my 2 new bags - my photography is not good,  the pictures are much better on the Cath Kidston site.
I can tell you that these bags are made from very nice materials and seem very sturdy.
I like them both so much,  I don't foresee me buying another bag until these just wear out.  

last weekend I tried a very popular Pinterest recipe
Cinnamon Roll Cake
I halved  the recipe and baked it in a  8 inch square pan instead of the 13by9  for the full recipe.
It made a nice texture cake,  my husband thought it was delicious,  but I thought it was just too sweet and rich -
any body else made any good Pinterest recipes?

13 comments:

  1. that oil free bar cookie recipe is very intriguing! How perfect for lowfat diets when you really want something sweet!

    love the bags...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bags! And I have wanted to try that cinnamon roll cake for a while. Your cookies sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda,
    How beautiful. I love handbags. These will last a long time.
    Yummy looking cake.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to try the cinnamon roll cake! Surely it is easier than making homemade cinnamon rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several pinned. I did do the peanut butter cup brownies from there. Jaymee is really starting to cook alittle with recipes from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bags, Rhonda. I've liked everything I've seen by Cath Kidston too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipes sound delicious - thanks for sharing. :) I like the bags!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am a huge fan of Cath Kidston. I have one of their bags too, have been using it daily since April 11, and it still looks brand new. I like the fact they are oilcloth as it means the contents don't get wet through when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bags! I'd keep that package, too, it's so cute. I thought it was a pillow at first!
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope my laundry bag lasts as long as yours has!

    ReplyDelete
  10. never heard of brown sugar bars, but that might be too easy not to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love CK! I spend so much time looking at her website when I get sale emails. Those are gorgeous bags!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bags. Thanks for telling us about that recipe. I was going to try it but now I think I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of those bags, but just from your photo, I really like them! I will have to check out the site. Yes, I've tried some Pinterest recipes...that baked pumpkin donut holes recipe that was going around - they were way too sweet; and most recently, broccoli cheddar quiche with a brown rice crust. It was good, but not flavorful enough. I had to douse it with hot sauce, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐