If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Monday, December 16, 2013

Cooking in Texas

We just got back from a weekend trip to see our parents. I did some cooking while I was there.
First I made Struesel Puffs, a muffin recipe my mom saved from Family Circle magazine approximately 1970. She made them often and we all liked them. I baked and entered them in a 4-H food show and got a blue ribbon. 

I baked Struesel Puffs so many times when our children were all at home. This was a normal Sunday before church recipe and I always doubled the recipe back then. 


Fresh baked Struesel Puffs on my parents dining table

Streusel Puffs

2 1/2 C. All purpose flour
1/2 C. butter
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
3/4 C. milk
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 beaten egg
Grease a standard 12 muffin tin. Combine 1/2 C. flour and the brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in 2 Tbsp. butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside. 
Mix remaining 2 C. flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in remaining 6 Tbsp. butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk in a small bowl; add all at once to the flour mixture. Stir lightly, just until liquid is absorbed. Batter will be lumpy. 
Divide batter between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
Serve warm after baking. They are still good the second day if reheated. 


Mom found this recipe on Pinterest and asked me to bake them,  I made them just like recipe except baked them in a 10 by 15 airbake pan instead of the 13 by 9 pan the recipe called for. We liked them a lot and think that thinner is better.  It was an easy recipe and makes a big batch. 

Pepperoni Lasagne that my brother requested. I just used a recipe from AllRecipes.com but substituted 1/2 pound diced pepperoni for the ground beef
A meat loaf
Boomer, my brother's dog, wagging his tail as he was hoping to get a few bites of meatloaf. 
I also made pimento cheese to eat on celery and crackers and cooked roast beef, mashed potatoes and 2 pounds of baked carrots. 

They will be able to heat and eat all week.  I wish we lived closer so I could cook for them more often. 

On our last trip to Texas, I took photos of beautiful bluebonnets along the highway.  
This trip was not as pretty as we drove through about 100 miles of highway lined with  ice storm damaged trees. Some trees were broken down to the ground, others had hanging or fallen broken limbs and some trees were split down the middle. It is going to be a big long job to clean them up.



17 comments:

  1. Yum, yum!! The puffs look especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meatloaf looks yummy to me!! I should ask the Dude to make his....it is far better than mine. Glad you had a great time with your folks.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jilly, my dude does not really care for meatloaf so I make it for my parents when I can and for one of our sons. Hope you get some meatloaf soon.

      Delete
  3. It is always sad to see trees damaged. Everything looks great! I am sure your parents appreciate having yummy food they don't have to prepare. I am going to make the puffs for Saturday morning breakfast. My family will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi, I hope you and your family like the streusel puffs. They really have been a favorite here for many years.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rhonda! It all looks so good. I am sure you had a great time seeing that sweet mother of yours. Tell her hello from me. :-) Are you having a family Christmas with your grandkids? We are going to be off to the woods to stay at Cranberry Cottage for a week and looking forward to it.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Heidi, most all of our family will be here for Christmas. We do have to share the children with the in laws but we will pretty much all be here Christmas evening.
      I am happy you will be going to your sweet Cranberry Cottage :)

      Delete
  5. What a daughter! The home cooking is wonderful. A warm hello to you, Heidi in Holland...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcomed to come visit me any time and cook! Everything looks delicious, especially the pecan pie bars and the muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well Susan, I do know your address. who knows, maybe the opportunity will arise and I will come to your home and cook. wouldn't that be fun?
      but for now, we are pretty much dug in like turnips in Oklahoma. I had to say that, we have been listening to a Jan Karon book.

      Delete
  7. Oh my! Here I sit, waiting for the farmer to come in for supper, and I turn to your blog with all this wonderful food! You're a sweetheart for cooking all this good food for your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it would be nice to be closer to them where I could cook more but see each other about monthly. It is easy to cook for my parents and brother as they like most everything and are just happy to have me do it.
      Do you have damaged trees on your property?

      Delete
  8. I bet they enjoyed your coming and the cooking! All looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice of you to do all of that cooking for your family.I am going to steal that muffin recipe. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try this streusel puffs..my grandmother made a similar recipe as a cake on weekends sometimes and I bet that your muffins will taste about the same ( as I have no clue what she did back then, I just remembering loving it as a kid!! :)

    Sounds like you had some wonderful pre-Christmas family times :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look wonderful! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/12/try-new-recipe-tuesday-december-24.html Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐