If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Frugal February day 13 - the nut house

My husbands coworker, David,  had a very good pecan harvest,  he gave us some pecans and we also picked up a lot of pecans on halves at his orchard. I don't know how many pounds are already in our freezer, but lots, and there is going to be more.  Back in the fall
My husband cracked and picked all of ours out the old fashioned way, with hand crackers and a metal pick.

David had more pecans mechanically "cracked and blown"   The pecans are not ready to eat after that process but a lot of the shell has been removed.  He wants them picked out all the way and my husband is doing it for him, on thirds. David will get 2/3s of this batch and we will get 1/3.



This is what the cracked and blown pecans look like- there is very little shell left in. 
David brought us a big storage tub with 2 trash bags full of pecans. 
My husband has already cleaned half of them,  I think it yielded 6 gallon bags - each bag is almost 4 pounds of pecans, from just half of them. 





These pecans would be especially delicious in pecan pie but we are trying to not eat that many calories. 
We do like to snack on nuts so I tried roasting a few from the freezer. I stirred them in just a little melted butter and salt, then baked them at 350 for about 8 minutes. I think they taste really good. 

For portion control and convenience, I used a 1/4 measuring cup and divided them into small dishes. 

I expect some of our pecans will end up in pecan pies or chocolate chip cookies but for everyday eating, we will enjoy eating our pecans roasted and in small portions. 

My frugal tip- everyone isn't friends with a pecan grower but everyone knows busy people. If you are willing to do odd jobs, I think there are plenty of opportunities to do similar things, 

16 comments:

  1. I love pecans. We did not have any this year from our trees. I might just have to drop by and borrow some from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous, what a fantastic harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a great deal. Pecans are expensive. I usually eat pecans right out of the bag I store in the freezer. I have never tried roasting them. I will have to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good with a little salt, they are really good with egg white to hold on a heavy coating of cinnamon sugar too,

      Delete
  4. Yum. I bet they taste especially good being so fresh! Pecan pie is my very favorite. So many uses for them...in cookies, breads, granola, trail mix...or just like you're eating them...and they can be so pricey at the grocery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them roasted too! Having a pecan tree is my dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being from east Texas pecans have ALWAYS been a staple in my family's kitchens. They are by far my most favorite. Now that I live on the Montana prairie, pecans are rare and a very special treat. We live in zone 3/4, winters are much too cold for pecan trees. I will plant two walnut trees this spring, but they will never be a substitute for pecans. In my book, your pecans are an ABUNDANT blessing.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful to have so much of something so good! We had a good pecan harvest this year too, and I use them in breads, cookies, brownies and fruit salads. Also I have a few in a box on the table for the farmer's snack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now we know why pecans are so expensive--they don't come out of the shell easily like peanuts. Thanks for sharing, I'd love to come over and help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pecans are very expensive here in the UK so we tend to only buy them at Christmas. I have never cooked with them, but I do make a good walnut tart which is a family favourite:-)
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Rhonda. I am learning!
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice addition to your pantry as those little morsels are so expensive. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband's mother gave us a 5# bag of mechanically cracked Texas pecans. My daughter and I finished cracking them by hand one evening taking great care to be sure the meat didn't accidentally wind up in the shell bag. Anyway-- this reminds me of shelling blackeyed peas with another daughter and the scramble to retrieve the peas that pop out and fall to the floor before the dogs get them. Stuff gains a lot of value when you have to invest your own time in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic opportunity. Pecans are so expensive here. You are sitting on a small gold mine. I'm a little envious. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐