If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Frugal February -day 6 - do stuff yourself

Just like in so many parts of the USA, it is very cold and snowy. No grands here today so I got started on laundry and kitchen chores first thing. Then I worked on this quilt, hoping to finish it today. It just needs all the tying finished and the binding sewn down by machine.
 I 
I did about 1/3 of the tying, then I thought I would go outside and sweep the sidewalks and clean off the driveway. Like I said, it is really cold, 12 degrees which is really cold for Oklahoma but I was bundled up. The fresh air felt good as I got the job done.
Then, I was getting a different broom from the garage and noticed my vehicle had a little water under it even though it has not been driven in days. I park right in front of the hot water heater and I knew right away that if the hot water heater is leaking, it is usually ruined from a rusted out bottom.
So I texted my husband and then tried to turn off the gas and water supply. 
The gas was easy but I could not find the water shut off. So, I did an internet search and found out. The shut off is way on top, in the very back. 
So I trudged out to our little storage building and got the big ladder.
But even with the ladder, I could barely reach the shutoff and could not get it to turn. 
Thankfully our tall neighbor came home for lunch just then and he came over and turned the valve. 

In the meantime. My husband and handyman extrodinaire son had been texting. They asked me for photos of the heater and they will both be taking off work this afternoon to come home and replace that 14 year old hot water heater. 
It should be a piece of cake for them, as they just changed out another one for our daughter. 

My husband and son both say changing a hot water heater is easy.  We are all pretty willing to try to make or fix or do most anything around the house. We are usually successful and I know it is has saved us lots of money.  

In the meantime, while I am waiting for my 2 handymen, I brought that tall ladder in the house and cleaned the living room ceiling fan. I use an old pillow case, a trick I also learned on the Internet and it is a great one. Just open up the pillow case and slip it over each blade and gently rub the case over the blade,  all the dust and dirt will come off and be contained in the pillowcase. 



I hope I can finish up my quilt while they work on that heater. 
 
 
 
 
I love these little guys but I am really glad neither of them were here today so I could discover that water leak before serious damage was done. 
9 month old JJ
 
 
18 month old Braeden

14 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad you were out in the garage and noticed that? So much better than waking up to zero hot water for a morning shower. I think 12 years is a good long life for one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it find give us a long service with no repairs needed, until today.

      It is so cold, I worried the leaking would turn our garage into an ice skating rink.

      Delete
  2. It's really nice to have such handymen to fix things right away isn't it! The farmer has always fixed things around the house, but now that's he's older, many things get put aside much too long.

    With all this cold weather you can put your new quilt to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really could of waited until the weekend to get it fixed but my son worried about me caring for his nephews with no hot water. We don't have a quilt shortage but I keep making them. I did pile several extra ones on the bed last night, so cozy! When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love, right?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, and maybe tomorrow it will get finished....

      Delete
  4. I have a handyman at my house, too, and I know he's saved us thousands of dollars over the years. Way to go to you, too, for searching the web to learn how to turn off the water to the heater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, you can find most everything on the internet :)

      Delete
  5. Great idea for cleaning fans; we have them in most of our rooms and I'm always getting a face full of dust when I clean. What a blessing to have a husband (and son) who will and can fix things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much can be done without the sweet little feet running around the house! So glad your fella's can do the work for you. Not only does it save money but you know they will be on TIME and the work will be done right!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you discovered the leakage!
    Your crafting is beautiful.
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt / don't love leaky water heaters...it's good that you found the leak early on!

    I have ceiling fans like that ( or similar, where I have to get those blades every few months or so...I'll have to try the pillowcase trick the next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that quilt. I think they are so much warmer than a blanket. Growing up my bedroom was upstairs and the only heat in the room was the 'naked' stove chimney. And the stove was naturally turned down a bit for the night, so on frigid nights I crawled between flannel sheets and had at least 3 heavy quilts on top of me, plus a chenille bedspread. It took awhile for the sheets to warm up, and then you didn't dare move out of that spot! I had two big windows in my room that didn't help either, and the old farmhouse was not insulated at all. I am cold just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope all is well now with the cold, water, gas, and power. Such sweet-looking grandchildren...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐