If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Frugal February day 8- sewing and thrift stores

The first quilt of 2014 is finished. It was made with all scraps except for the batting and of course the thread. I bought the batting and thread on sale and with a coupon at Joann's. They have great sales.
I had the quilt spread out in the living room and my son is here, trying it out.
I wanted a dark backing for it and used these 2 fabrics, neither was big enough so I pieced them together.

I thought it be fun to make 12 quilts in 2014 but realistically, I am shooting to make 6.  So 5 more quilts in almost 11 months, maybe!
Sewing is especially thrifty if you end up with gift fabric. 



With the cold front here, I have pretty much stayed home all week.  This morning, we did a couple errands and I went to a thrift store while my husband went by the bicycle store.


The kitchen things were all 1/2 price. All this stainless steel Farberware was $16.  There is a huge covered skillet, a small skillet, a double boiler, a steamer, 3 1 quart saucepans and a 4 quart stock pot. My daughter wants new saucepans and was going to buy some today. I think I got all the saucepans she could need. I am keeping the big skillet and maybe the steamer.
I always look at the children's clothes. All of these were $6.75
This little blanket was $1. Two of my grandsons live on a farm. This farm theme fabric is so cute, I think they will like it.

My town has 5 nice thrift stores but they do price things differently. I like to shop at the one with low priced children's clothes.  I "like" them on Facebook and knew from a post this morning that their kitchen stuff was half price so when I saw the cookware, I knew it was a very good deal. 

23 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out very nice! I, too, like to make quilts from what I have on hand. Lots of it is given to me. You could make 12 quilts, but you will be very busy! I am currently making a wedding quilt for my stepson. Its slow going!

    Love how you got all those nice pots and pans and clothes at such great prices. Our thrift stores aren't very good, but I love thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Megan, you should come see it in person.

      Delete
  3. Cheers for you on finishing the quilt! I'm much too slow now to make very many things in twelve months.
    Wish I could find thrift store deals like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little farm boy blanket is darling! I'm not having much luck with the thrift stores lately, but only a couple more months until garage sale season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt! I need to finish mine soon I hope! Great deals at the thrift shop!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on your first finish of 2014! great scrap quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am blown away by the good price you got on all of that cookware. Yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that little farm blanket...adorable! And that big skillet is very nice! What great buys! I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with the pots and pans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 quilts this year? As my Kid likes to say, "You are magic" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No magic :) I make easy quilts and finish other peoples quilts

      Delete
  10. Thrift store shopping is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your good finds. Love that farm fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great deals, especially on the Farberware. Love your quilt! They are so comfortable to use for cuddling up on the couch with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt turned out so nice! You always find GREAT deals at your thrift stores! Very nice on the pans! Bet Nina loved them. Farm blanket is adorable. Cute little jean jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lana, thank you, I like the little jean jacket too.

      Delete
  13. Hello, just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your blog on a wet, miserable day in the UK. Many thanks.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It's been snowy here for too long but is supposed to wRm up by midweek.

      Delete
  14. I love the great find on the cookware! I would be happy with that as I am need some more myself. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in the tropics but I can admire quilts all day! I think scrap sewing is one of the best ways to practice stewardship of what God has given us.

    Great shopping finds! Your grandchildren are so blessed for having a grandma like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia, I am the blessed one to have such interesting and sweet grands. The Tropics sound really tempting, you have a guest room? :)

      Delete
  16. The quilt turned out nicely and I like that backing fabric too! I picked up some good pots about 6 months ago at our mission store...I think I got 2 and they were Farberware in sizes that I did not have. Sometimes that place is a treasure trove! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐