If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Monday, June 30, 2014

A trip down memory lane, shopping and more about cleaning a fridge

We went to Oklahoma City on Friday to have my husbands car checked by the dealer. We also went to our son's home to get the fresh shrimp he brought back from their vacation to the Texas coast.
We ended up just a short distance from a rent house in Midwest City that we lived in from 1983-1986. We drove by and took a photo- the house was not new when we lived there and it is not in a really great neighborhood but it looks almost just like it did 30 years ago and seems to be well maintained.

Our son's wife grew up in this same neighborhood, in a house just 5 blocks from this house.  We did not know her or her family then but we all think it is neat we did live close together even though we did not know it at the time. 


We also just happened to drive by US Foods. It is a rather new store, kind of like a Sams but without the membership fee. USFoods is a wholesale food company that mainly delivers food to businesses and institutions. Back when I was a cook at a fraternity house, USFoods was my favorite distributor. 
Now, USFoods has opened just a few retail stores.  

http://usfoods.com/about-us/chef-store.html
We browsed every aisle and had fun looking at all the kitchen and restaurant equipment.  Since it was a spur of the moment visit, I didn't have a plan to buy anything but we did find a few things 
The gloves were an especially good deal, about $4 for 100 and are handy when when we do messy things like painting.
I really like balsamic vinegar and have a hard time finding it in our town, 
I expect my grandchildren will be happy to snack on the goldfish. 
We will go back, when we need to stock up. They put an ad paper in the Oklahoman newspaper every so often so I will watch for sales on things we use.




I got so many comments from you all about my fridge cleaning. 
I forgot to mention about another important part - cleaning the fridge coils and air flow spots. 
The little fridge has coils on the back that get dusty and the big fridge gets lots of dust buildup in the bottom.  If you need to clean yours, just look it over for dust. 
My husband helped with this job. He used an air compressor to blow all the dust out of the bottom of the big fridge. He also used the vacuum hose to remove the dust.

Using the compressor blows the dust all over but it is important to get it out. Once our fridge broke because the dust in the bottom clogged up the motor.  

Today-I  mowed and edged the front and back yards.  We've had plenty of rain so everything is green and growing. 
The potted garden is mostly growing 


I picked more yummy cherry tomatoes


And discovered that 3 mystery vines are actually cantaloupe!  I did not plant cantaloupe, the seeds must of been in the compost.




Another photo of the potted zinnias - just because they are pretty and happy.


This afternoon, I worked on prettying up a couple of pairs of $1 flip flops with ideas from Pinterest. 
That will be my next post - I've rambled on here long enough with way too many topics.  


16 comments:

  1. Your garden is really coming along...funny about the cantaloupe...I wish that would happen to me;-) I had to break up a fight between two blue jays and a hawk near our patio today....didn't want blood on my veggies, LOL. The hawk has been going after far too many nests. The same blue jays that 'stole' the cocoa liner from my strawberry plants.

    Sorry about the blog change again, but the last one was still associated with the bad tr*lls, so I had to start completely over.

    Your USFoods sounds a bit like our Smart and Final...love that place. By the way, those Goldfish would last about an hour around here.

    blessings,jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I am so sorry about all the blog troubles! What a mess! But you are a kindred spirit and I hope to keep reading your blog whenever you have one.

      Delete
  2. Your zinnias are so pretty! I love how cheerful they are.
    I have little tiny green tomatoes, but it'll be quite some time before we get to eat any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, now that it is warm, I bet your tomatoes will grow fast :)

      Delete
  3. I like your rambles! It's always fun to drive by old houses we've lived in. I haven't done that in ages but when you do, the memories come flooding back, don't they? Aww.

    I've never heard of US Foods...sounds fun. I always love browsing through all the stuff in those stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of good memories! Our daughter was born while we lived there and we had the best landlords.,

      Delete
  4. I hope we come across a USFoods sometime. I'd love seeing what's there. I don't think I knew you had been a cook in a fraternity house. Oh my! I bet you have some stories. Isn't it special to drive by your old home and see how it looks now? Just looking at a house where you used to live almost seems to take you back in time with the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could tell lots of stories about the frat houses. We had 2 children in college so I worked full time then but I am glad to not be doing that anymore,
      Those boys drove me nuts sometimes but they were never ever boring.m

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the information on Us Foods. I live 2 hours from the Columbia SC one and about an hour and a half from the Charlotte NC one. I am in those areas from time to time so I may have to check them out! I have been wanting to meet a friend in Charlotte and this looks like a fun place for us to check out because we are cooking fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. USFoods would be a great place to shop with a friend, I am glad there is one near you :)

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks like it's coming along well this year. We just got ours in a couple weeks ago (here in Montana we plant significantly later than most other folks in the U.S.). Your fridge post reminds me that it is time to clean under and behind our fridge too. Thanks for the reminder.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs B,
      We had a warmer than usual spring that explains why we have early garden produce, and more than enough much needed rain.m

      Delete
  7. Zinnia Envy! Either I had very bad seed or very hungry birds. Mine are doing little right now.

    I am still waiting for your cleaning burst inspiration to head my way. My refrigerator needs a thorough cleaning before the 4th and I am running out of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, hope you get that energy burst, it is work cleaning a fridge but not really hard work, mostly just time consuming. I will say it was worth it!

      Delete
  8. Don't you love zinnias!! I saved a few seeds from last summer and they're blooming. They do look like happy flowers. Nice tomatoes too! We're having tomatoes; don't remember ever having them before July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved zinnia seeds a few years ago and did well when planted the next year but then for a years I didn't save seeds, I will save them this year! I really like the red ones.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐