If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

this week's shopping

Hello everyone
On Saturday, we shopped for groceries at a big military commissary and then got produce at Aldi.  We are pretty stocked up on groceries for the month of February but I still had a few things on my list.
I had a free afternoon this week so I decided to do some errands.  My parents and daughters said they needed a few things at the stores I was going to and I was happy to help them

So here is all the stuff I bought in my 3 hour shopping spree-

first stop was Sprouts - it is a grocery store kind of like Whole Foods but much more reasonable priced. 
The bulk trail mixes were 25% off and I got the peanut chocolate one for our home and the M&M kind for my daughter.  I also bought bulk English walnuts,  for snacking and adding to salad and oatmeal. 


The next store was Joann, a big fabric and craft store. 
I needed a new daily medicine box and this one was just sitting on an endcap all by itself.  So I guess it was just meant to be for me.  I never expected to buy a pill box at Joann.
My mom asked for hand soap and these were on clearance for 75 cents. 
2 spools of gray thread that I was out of,  I often hem suit pants for my son and seems to mostly wear gray which is why I was out. 
This big set of ornaments for the children to paint was 85% off.  I know our older grands will enjoy doing these
I also wanted to get some fleece remnants.  I bought 2 others a month ago and couldn't believe how much they discount them at checkout. 
can you read the price tags?  they range from $11-$15 the labels say
but at checkout,  they all ended up about $3. 
With the 2 pieces of fleece I bought earlier,  I have enough to make 3 double sided fleece blankets.  I hope to do them soon!
Next was TJMaxx.  I am a fan of Rae Dunn pottery.  It is low priced at TJMaxx, Homegoods and Marshalls but my town only has a TJMaxx. Rae Dunn has become so popular,  it is hard to find at any store.  I went in there just to treasure hunt.  I usually come out empty handed but this week,  I found and bought these 2 sweet heart plates.  They were $4.99 each

Next was Walmart-
we needed a new laundry basket for our closet.  This shape fits in there just right and I splurged 3 dollars extra to get one with wheels and a pull handle.  I think I will like it better than the old kind that is carried,   we will see!
My mom asked for these and she even had a coupon for them.  She uses one when she does Sudoku puzzles. 

Next and last was Dollar Tree.  Everything at Dollar Tree costs $1 and a few things cost less.  They have a good bit of junk but they also have a lot of quality products. 
I bought 2 jugs of laundry bleach that I use on our towels and whites. 
every month, I stock up on quarts of this shelf stable milk.  It tastes just like fresh milk and is a good choice for us as we don't always use a whole gallon of milk before it sours.(  Jane, of Thrift and Hope,  if we were neighbors, I could share that less than perfect milk with you to feed all your adopted kitties,  but since we are far apart,  I'll keep buying these quarts. )
I also bought some 4 packs of GoGoSqueez yogurt.  it is also shelf stable and so much cheaper than the pouches at regular stores.  Some of my grands love it  but some don't. 
These ball guns are lots of fun.  The gun shoots a foam ball on a short elastic string.  My grands always disconnect the string so the ball will shoot farther.  I got these 2 to take to my parents.  They have a long hall that the grands can shoot the balls down. 
I saw the grapefruit handsoap and got it for my mom too. 
4 bags of little candy bars - because we have grands and because we like candy. 
these containers are another repeat buy- they are sturdy and a really good size,  one box will hold about 9 regular size muffins or several dozen cookies.  3 of these went to my daughter. 
this is a snack I like - Crunchy Rice Rolls- they are lightly sweetened,  38 calories a roll and I like to munch on them when I just want a snack but don't really need a snack.  They are a pretty good size, close to the size of toilet paper tube- but that's a weird thing to compare food to
They are made in Korea. 

And that wraps up my 3 hour shopping adventure.  The weather was so nice so all the walking was pleasant. 
I don't remember the last time I spent 3 hours shopping like this and it was fun and I certainly found everything on my list.  But I probably won't do it again for at least another month or more. 

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good shopping trip in deed. I love Dollar Tree. It is a must for odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar Tree is a fun store! And so many good deals. I'm thankful there is one just a mile or so from our home

      Delete
  2. Great shopping deals and thanks for mentioning the Sprouts trail mix sale. I have class in the morning and Sprouts is on the way home, so I will run in and grab some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some great bargains. I always look for sales on the bulk peanuts for snack foods. They are just so expensive otherwise. I can vouch for the laundry hamper on wheels. It works great. Long ago I bought on for my mom and it sure saved the back when going up and down stairs to the laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation . I hope our basket lasts a long time too

      Delete
  4. Nice deals and glad you got some alone shopping time in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep those quarts of milk on the shelf too. I use very little milk and also keep dry milk on the shelf.

    The other day, the little girl from across the road came knocking with a big measuring cup and said, "Can we borrow some milk?" Absolutely! So I reached into the pantry and grabbed one of those quarts.

    I'll bet her mum scratched her head a bit when she came back across with that box....I tease her about some day. lol

    With Aldi having milk at less than $2 a gallon right now, a buck a quart is expensive.....unless you can use gallon, or a half gallon, and waste too much. Not a problem with the neighbors across the road....they have four kids!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cheaper to buy a gallon of fresh milk here too than to buy 4 boxes. But the convenience of having fresh milk without going to the store is worth the extra cost
      And you know how It is, if you go to store for milk, you're likely to buy even more stuff

      Delete
  6. Are you aware that JoAnn offers a military discount? It is 10% off with ID. My parents recently told us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes❤ And I showed her my military ID.
      It's at the bottom of the receipt.

      Delete
  7. It was fun going on your shopping trip with you, Rhonda! And you know those strays would love the milk! Ha! Isn't it just fun to go out and see what kind of bargains you can find? Great price on that fleece. I'll have to look for the milk. We don't use it very often here, this might be the solution to our problem, now that I know it tastes just like regular milk. Thanks for the tip! Hope the remainder of your week is wonderful!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does taste like regular milk. When I first started using it, 2 of the grands eyed the carton very suspiciously but then they tasted it and decided Gradnmas weird milk was just fine,

      Delete
  8. Hi Rhonda,

    What great finds. So glad you had such a fun day.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a fun day. I usually dread doing errands

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun shopping day. We do *city shopping* once a month and a Sprouts opened there recently. Their ad had some great deals. I hope to get in there soon.

    You went to all my fave stores. I would've loved to tag along. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprouts is a great store- I think you will like it

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fun shopping trip! ( love the Candy and the fleece remnants )

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a great shopping day!

    I think our JoAnn's ran out of Christmas clearance kits BEFORE Christmas or shortly afterwards unless they had some in the back they didn't put out because I was on a mission to buy little craft kits to keep my nephew busy. What a "keep kids busy" find that large kit is!

    I'm glad (and a bit jealous) that you are finding time to sew a bit. I'm hoping my day will eventually come for that, as I love to sew but am not finding time for it right now.

    I don't think we have Sprouts here, but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know there is a Marshall's in OKC at Memorial & Penn? And a Homegoods in Norman just off I-35 near Embassy Suites. Just thought I'd mention it if you come to OKC occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know there is a Marshall's in OKC at Memorial & Penn? And a Homegoods in Norman just off I-35 near Embassy Suites. Just thought I'd mention it if you come to OKC occasionally.

    Speaking of Dollar Tree - a few weeks ago I decided to take a chance and bought a 2-in-2 shampoo there. It is the BEST shampoo I've used in ages. Couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐