If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Spring Break week

Hello everyone.  We are just finishing up Spring Break,  meaning all the grands that are in school and our daughter and son in law that work for schools,  were all off for a week. 
So,  that meant my husband and I didn't have our regular childcare schedule this week. 
We stayed busy all week and also had some fun. 

We worked in our yard and raised beds.  This giant clover was growing in one of our raised beds.  It was very pretty but its been dug up and the bed has been tilled. 
We are in such a string of warm weather,  we decided to live dangerously and planted several tomato and pepper plants outside.  If we do end up having freezing weather,  we will cover them up but we are hoping that by planting early,  we will harvest early.
We will see.......

The very first night of spring break was a 5 cousin sleepover at our home.  I didn't intend on bathing all 3 of these little guys in this little tub at the same time but I started with the youngest and he didn't want to get out once he was clean.  So his brother got in and then he didn't want to get out once he was clean either.  So their cousin joined them. 
3 little guys in 1 little tub- having so much fun! 
My husband and I will celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary this month.  We took a short trip during spring break as it was easier to go now than to try to rearrange schedules when school is in session. 
We went to south western  Oklahoma- not a long drive. 
Medicine Park is just the most unique little town.  It is on the edge of the Wichita Mountains and is very rocky.  They are blessed with an abundance of naturally occurring round granite rocks.  They call them "cobblestones"  and the early settlers used cobblestones to build their homes and businesses. 
Many of the homes are still lived in and some have been renovated and are turned into guest cottages that tourists can rent. 
This beautiful stream and waterfall run right through the middle of Medicine Park. 
I've heard of settlers building with logs and sod but I never knew about cobblestones. 
We were just fascinated with all the cobblestone buildings and cobblestones everywhere you look.  We wanted  our own cobblestone but it is illegal to remove them from Medicine Park punishable with a $500 fine.  So we will just be content with our photos of cobblestones. 

We drove to the top of Mount Scott,  the tallest peak in Oklahoma. 

We toured the Holy City of the Wichitas. 
It was built in the 1930s as a WPA work project and is supposed to be like Jerusalem during Bible times.  We enjoyed it very much. 


No shortage of rocks! 


On the drive back home,  we stopped to see these 3 grands that live about an hour away. 
Andie just turned 5, Charlie is 20 months and baby RJ is 8 months. 
I think the professional photographer did a great job and her backdrop is really cute too- just lengths of tulle netting to make the rainbow. 


At our daughter's home- this is their dining room before.  My husband built the 2 bar height benches I showed in a previous post. 
Before
After- my husband did some more ........
The chairs and table legs got a coat of white paint and distressing, and the table got a new, bigger top.  I think its about 5 feet by 6 feet now. 
Image may contain: people sitting, table and indoor
their family should have lots of happy meals and games and craft projects at this huge table with lots of seating now. 

Their front door is really cute too-
Their bunny wreath is from Hobby Lobby.  She said she bought it on sale and got it for about $10.  To hang it on the metal door,  she used a Command Hook. 

I don't have any Easter decorations up yet but I plan to do that next week.  I've also been doing some warmer weather changes inside our home like switching out the heavy drapes for lighter curtains.  I'll show photos soon! 

and if you're still reading (this turned into a loooong post)
Thank You All for the sweet compliments on my last post.
  I was not online much during the week and just never got around to replies. 


26 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!
    And what a lovely place to celebrate.
    Loved visiting with you this evening...
    Have a cozy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Billie Jo, I always enjoy my visits at your sweet blog too!

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary!
    I love the cobblestone town. I am going to have to put seeing it on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anne, and you should see Medicine Park. It is truly worth the trip.

      Delete
  3. The cobblestone town looks like a neat place to visit. I enjoy get aways that aren't far from home. Your hubby did an amazing job on the dining room. It looks great! Many memories will be made around that table. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendi, I prefer the short trips too.
      I will tell my husband what you think..

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary! Your grandchildren are the cutest! Love the St. Pat's picture. Your Charlie and my Violet look so much alike and they are about the same age. Love the benches and work your husband did in the dining room. Farmhouse style is a favorite of mine. That cobblestone town looks like a very nice place to visit. Hope you will have a lovely week without any frost!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, there is no frost in the 10 day forecast, not even close.
      That's sweet that Charlie and Violet are so much alike.
      The cobblestone town is truly amazing!

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary!
    I love the cobblestone town, very interesting.
    We are driving back to Oklahoma in May, maybe we can make that one of our stops to sightsee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, If Medicine Park is anywhere near where you'll be, I highly recommend going to see it. Its just north of Lawton and Ft. Sill, in the lower SW part of OK.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rhonda. Actually we are coming back to attend my husbands son's graduation from nursing school. He and his family live in Lawton. He retired from the military there, he served 22 years. He and his family actually went to Medicine Park this past Sunday and he posted pictures on FB. So yep I think we will be taking a visit there.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really fun week. Glad you got a mini vacation and had time with so many of the young-ins!
    blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Cheryl, I am homebody and really prefer the mini trips. The mini-ier, the better!

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are just wonderful! Loved all the kids in the bath at the same time-so much fun. Our anniversary falls this month too-spring break is next month so we will just wait to get away. I love the cobblestone buildings so neat. What a frugal way to build a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the 3 little guys had a ball in the bath. They are not usually all here at bath time so it was novel to them as well.
      Happy anniversary to you too!

      Delete
  8. What a neat place, Mediciine Park! Thank you for sharing it with us, I'd never heard of it. And, was unlikely too, as well. I love small town surprises like that.

    Your grandkids are adorable! THey do grow up too fast.

    The table is lovely, looks much better. The door is cute, I've seen that wreath, too.

    I'm waiting til April to bring out the bunnies, but it's an impatient wait, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I know you have driven to the Dallas area down I35. I don't think Medicine Park is terribly far off of that. If you come back this way, we could look it up. This town is so cool, I think everyone should see it.
      Your grands are growing up just as fast!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your trip! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lana, Medicine Park is just such a unique little village. we enjoyed it so much.
      Thank you

      Delete
  10. Love the dining set. I did something like that with mine also. Grand kids are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, grands are wonderful. Your blog is new to me and I like it so I put it on my sidebar.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. thank you, they are very happy with it too.

      Delete
  12. Okay, so I LOVE what Jeff did with Nina's dining set. It looks like a different room altogether.
    For a break week you still were awfully busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Rhonda, Happy Belated Wedding Anniversary!!! God bless you two.
    The rocks are interesting. That's very clever and economical to build with rocks. I've seen fireplaces with pebbles and the more I see it the more I like it. Back to nature.
    You have very sweet Grands! I love being a granny.
    All the best,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary to you and Hubby this month! I love the pictures from your travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐