If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, November 2, 2018

Changing gears

When I started blogging, I was employed, my husband was working and our chicken were all young adults, some were students and we had no grandchildren.  
We also had to be very careful with our finances.  

A lot has changed since then.  
I left my job almost 9 years ago.  
For 9 years, we had at least 1 grandchild here most every week day while their parents worked but now all the local grands are in full time preschool and school. 
My parents have moved to our town. 
And my husband has been retired almost 4 years.  
And we have fewer financial obligations.  
Many days now, it just my husband and myself and we enjoy spending time together and doing tasks together.  

When I started blogging,  I was very busy with homemaking, careful shopping, crafting, budget cooking and decorating.  
I still live somewhat  “if you do stuff, stuff gets done” but I’m also enjoying some slower days and more relaxing hobbies like jigsaw puzzles and reading and just being Un-busy is suiting me these days.

I haven’t blogged in awhile because life is good here but it’s different.  
I want to blog but my focus will be slightly different.  I’m still homemaking but on a smaller, slower scale. 
Some of you may still follow me but I expect others won’t be interested.  

Enough chatter- here is what’s been going on here 

Breakfast this morning was New York Crumb cake.  It’s a Martha Stewart recipe and I’ve been baking it for more than a decade.  I have no idea why it doesn’t have better ratings on her site as it’s so good.  I’ve made it for lots of people and everyone likes it.  
I like the recipe because it’s uses only basic  ingredients and fast to mix up.  


We enjoyed it very much at breakfast and I took part of it to my parents.  


A hobby I’ve rediscovered is jigsaw puzzles. 
They are a fun group activity and  when I work on one alone,  I find them very relaxing,  

The only problem I have with puzzles is our dog, Ducky, thinks the pieces are yummy.  I have to be vigilant in picking up pieces that fall on the floor as he will destroy a puzzle piece in no time.  


Our daughter’s front door was barely hanging on so I helped my husband fix it this morning, 
The builder used those short screws 😱to install the door to the doorframe. 
My husband replaced all the short screws with the longer screws. 
That door should stay in place now.  



I’ve mentioned our youngest son many times in my posts.  
He recently married an amazing partner.
We are happy to have both of them in our family.  






8 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how your financial life gets easier when the kids are all gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it is so wonderful to hear about someone taking the frugal road during the early years and now you get to reap the rewards! I have learned so much from you regarding bargain shopping and I love the way you prepare your food ahead for your big dinners or for family! I used to do a lot of this but now it is only me in my house (and my grandkids about one weekend a month) so I still enjoy reading about you and your family. Congratulations to your son and his partner and may they have many, many years of happiness!!! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, no matter the route you take with your blog I'm following. We're getting ready to retire and move so I'm sure I'll learn a few things along the way. Congratulations to your son and his partner, may they have many wonderful years together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your blog. Congrats to you and your family and may they have many years of happiness together!!

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading about your family, especially since mine grew up with them, albeit via email, over the past 20 years. We're looking at retirement in a few years (which is pretty scary to me), so I'm sticking around to see how you do it.
    I used to make a streusel coffee cake much like your crumb cake, but it's been a long time. That would be a delicious treat for breakfast when the grands are here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life changes and we go with the flow. I love having a quieter less stressful life. ENJOY

    ReplyDelete
  7. The change sounds WONDERFUL! I'll be popping in to see what you are up to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy your blog and check often for updates. When we were expats in Belgium I blogged almost everyday. I had so much to share! We have been back in the US almost 7 years and I don’t have nearly as much to write about.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐