If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, May 21, 2020

May news #9 - purchases

Good evening,  
I didn’t take any photos but we spent today with 2 grandsons that we’ve barely seen during this quarantine.  That was really nice! 


Back around the first of March,  our 10 year old Bosch dishwasher started leaking.  My husband said to buy a new one.  So we went to Lowe’s where the selection was quite limited.  Even so, it worked out for the best as I’m so happy with the new dishwasher we did pick out.  
It is also a Bosch and it has a feature I didn’t even know existed on dishwashers- a 3rd pull out rack.  

I use that third rack all the time.  Sometime I put shallow dishes on the top rack.  
Sometimes I take the silverware basket out of the bottom rack to make room for more big dishes and then load all our silverware and utensils in the top rack.  

The dishwasher was not frugal but it was on sale and to spend even less,  we brought it home in the back of husband’s pickup and then he installed it to save on delivery and installation.  

Other brands also had the third rack.  So if you plan on buying a new dishwasher,  I’m a big fan of this style.  



The disruption in the supply chain during this quarantine and not being to really shop in person has really concerned me.  
I’ve been keeping a full pantry and freezer and couponing stockpile for years,  but the shortages we’ve been seeing made both my husband and I want to increase our food storage at home.  
So,  we’ve added more food storage in our guest room.  

In the flat storage containers are different kinds of rice, beans, sugars. 
There are extra spices to flavor all those beans, plenty of coffee and tea, pet food, canned soups, meats, fruits and veggies and assorted household items.  
I have no idea if this was the right thing to do but except for some canned meats,  all the products are things we regularly use.  
I didn’t buy this in one shopping trip.  The stores in my towns have limits.  Most of it was was bought week by week through the Walmart grocery pickup.  


Have any of y’all felt the need to stock up more than usual? 
Time will tell if it’s necessary but if things do all get better,  we will just use these things in the future and be ahead on grocery shopping 

❤️ Rhonda 










18 comments:

  1. Glad you got to spend time with your grandsons Rhonda. They always say to stock up on what you like to eat. Yes, I feel the urge to stock up and have expanded my garden. Never hurts to be prepared! Have a nice Memorial Day!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to spend time with the littles. I have not stocked up any more than usual. In fact I'm buying less. Due to low stock it is better to buy less so others have something too. I'm finding my grocery bill at least 30% higher than usual also even though I'm buying less. I like your new dishwasher and I'm glad you are happy with it. I haven't used mine in years. I just find it much easier to wash things by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Bosch dishwasher! Ours gets gunk on the seal down at the bottom of the door every so often and then water starts dripping there so that is always where we look if we see water. I would buy a Bosch again when this one wears out but it is crazy how much appliances cost now. I have rounded out canned goods over the last few weeks but have not felt a need to buy a lot more but we had a lot when it all started and have hardly put a dent in the stockpile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have stocked up on different things than I usually do. But, I have continued to stock up a little extra. However, I only stock up s few items at a time and always bogo or sales or with coupons. I noticed your mustard. I could go a year with one little bottle. But, Tommy needs a large one every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat a little mustard but my husband eats a lot of mustard. I think we use a big bottle once a month too

      Delete
  5. The pandemic is why I keep a large pantry all the time. If you don't have one, it's as good a time as any to start one. No one knows if Covid will make another round. Groceries are more expensive, now, too. I doubt that they'll get any cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new dishwasher. Nice storage!!!!! I moved a part of mine in an extra bedroom as well (instead of basement). It is very smart to be prepared. I hope we are back on the up side of all this - but you never know. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel as you do, Rhonda---the need to stock up a little extra. I am well stocked now, and as I use something I replenish it. Even though I've always kept a pretty good pantry, the lack of products (or limits of 2 cans of something) have really shocked me!! I find I am stocking up on non-food goods, too. Part of my mind set is that we prepare for hurricanes down here in Florida, so staying stocked is nothing new.

    We had to get a new dishwasher, too, in January. We got a GE. Happy with it.

    Glad you got to spend time with grand kids...day brightener for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely have been trying to add to my stockpile. If you can afford it and have the room why not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am new to your blog & have enjoyed reading in the last week or two.

    I love that top rack in the new dishwashers! I don't have that but my daughter in law has it in hers. It's great for baby bottle nipples & sippy cup lids too.

    I have stocked up more but I don't think to the extent you have. I've kept my freezer full of meat & changed some cabinets in my mud/laundry room to pantry storage. I think we could eat on what we have for at least 2 months, maybe three. There are two of us here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am feeling the need to do some stockpiling!
    I have that third rack on my dishwasher also and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we do feel compelled to stock a bit more. Like you we've done it slowly and bought one extra over what we typically would buy. I never buy items that are low stock but have picked up things like collard greens or canned black eyed peas that we do eat but others seem to have felt weren't worth choosing so there were ample supplies. As more scarce items come back into supply I'll then work on restocking those a little each pay period.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That stockpile looks like mine and is so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rhonda--this is Pam from the TH group. I am shopping for a dishwasher and have been looking at Bosch since I have had them highly recommended. The two I have narrowed it down to have good reviews but a comment that pops up on both is that they are tricky to load and they don't get the dishes dry. Have you seen that? Do you mind telling me what model you got?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam
      I don’t find this new Bosch hard to load at all. If you have really tall glasses, like a Yeti, they won’t fit on the middle rack so I just put ours on the bottom.
      About drying, I think it dries fine. The light tells you when to add rinse agent and it really dries perfectly with rinse agent.
      It is an expensive model but I’m truly happy with it, dishes all come out so clean!

      https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-500-Series-AutoAir-44-Decibel-Filtration-Built-In-Dishwasher-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-in-Actual-23-56-in-ENERGY-STAR/1001054156

      Delete
  14. Nice stockpile--especially the wipes. I am wondering when school (if it does) starts if there will still be a shortage of wipes--thinking so---and kids usually have to take a couple things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have some things stockpiled, rice, favorite cereals,I'm trying to get some more canned chicken stocked but that is going slowly. We still need to stock more toilet paper, we got a slow start at the beginning,and it almost caught us with our pants down, so to speak.. The only freezer we have is the one at the top of our smallish refrigerator. We just don't have space for a freezer anywhere. I like your storage area. That is a good idea. Our TP stash won't all fit in the small space for it in our closet so I need to think of another area. I need to keep an eye out for some flour, too.
    After seeing how people were acting up over the holiday weekend in my state (Missouri) I think we are going to have a huge spike, and the virus will go absolutely nowhere this summer it is here for a long while in my opinion. I'd gladly be wrong about that, if it were to mean that the Covid would just go away.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t see the Missouri news story but my husband and mom both told me about it. I was surprised it was happening in MO.
      I don’t know what’s going to happen but some of the possibilities are scary.
      We plan to stay home as much as possible and just be prepared.
      But I sure wish a Branson vacation was realistic. We love vacationing in Branson but we sure aren’t going now.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐