If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

June Homemaking #2 - vegetables

Hello everyone,  
Today I prepared vegetables to eat today and to have for meals during the week.  



I made more pico de Gallo as there were some tomatoes in the fridge that needed to be used and we have cilantro growing in the backyard.  
My husband ate some with chips for an afternoon snack. 



I used all the chopped onions I showed last week so I chopped more today. 
I also fixed a simple crudités platter for lunches and snacks. 



A very simple dip to eat with those vegetables- about a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt and 2 teaspoons of dry Ranch mix.  

All these veggies made me want veggie soup so I made a half pot full of  basic veggie soup with ingredients on hand


It was carrots, onions, celery, cabbage, a few new potatoes, frozen green peas and corn —the wet ingredients were a 8 ounce can tomato sauce,  a 16 ounce can diced tomatoes and enough water to make it all soupy.  The seasoning was 2 tablespoons of dry onion soup mix, salt and pepper.  
We enjoyed it very much even if it was 88 degrees outside.  

What did you all cook today? 

❤️ Rhonda 

10 comments:

  1. I never thought about using partial packets of onion soup for seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can actually empty the packets into a jar and just spoon out what you need. There are a lot or recipes for making your own onion soup mixes online.

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds so good it makes me want soup even though it is 90 here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very warm here this week. Today it was in the mid-90s. And we've had a warm/hot wind for the last 36 hours. I spent 3.5 hours after work, hoeing the potatoes and onions; Farmer helped me switch two of the tomato cages to the larger ones he made from cattle panels. I then watered it all well (need a longer hose) and watered all the patio pots. Tomorrow I will water the front stoop pots and the new hostas I planted around the pin oak tree. I need to start mulching but there are only so many hours in a weekday.
    Cooking: Yesterday I made cheesy potatoes and heated up some ham leftover from Easter (from the freezer). Today we had Chopped Salads. I like strawberries and Feta cheese on mine.
    Tomorrow we will have Nachos with homemade Pico (great minds)
    I picked up my local producer Salad Box. I also ordered 4 doz eggs and some rhubarb. There were 3-4 bags of greens; chives, thyme, pea shoots and edible flowers. I will wash it all well, spin it dry and it will last 2-3 weeks. I'm still eating off the last delivery, 3 weeks ago.
    Summer eating. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to take a page from your playbook and prep several days worth of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have started prepping veggies ahead as well. Yesterday I chopped up 4 days worth of salads...cabbage, romaine, carrots, celery. Also chopped up the rest of a cabbage to use in tonight's dinner: unstuffed cabbage. So nice to have prep work done in advance! I usually like radishes and tomatoes in my salads but I am out! Time for a trip to the grocery store...

    A neighbor s bringing over a bag of mangoes today from her tree...yum!!

    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so yummy! I also made pico yesterday. We've already finished half of it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you prep everything ahead, my dream is to grow up and be just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the veggie plate. I think I will do that. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's looks so good -great idea to use dry onion soup mix for the flavoring! I cooked potato soup yesterday and it was so filling. I should do soup more often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐