If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Probably my only November2021 post

Hello everyone 
I have no plans to stop this blog but life has lots of extra things going on that are not leaving me with much time to do homemaking in my home.  And since I usually blog about home things,  no posts have been written this month.  
Possibly toward the end of the November,  things will be normal and I’ll get back to both homemaking and blogging. 

Yesterday was the Marine Corp birthday.  It’s not a big deal to anyone but Marines.  But to Marines,  it’s a very big deal.  
They have formal birthday balls, tell each other Happy Birthday and Semper Fi all day and celebrate a lot.  
No ball for us since retirement but I did bake a cake for my Marine husband and we happily reminisced looking at old photos.  


This ball was in 1984.  I sewed this ball dress and I remember I spent $7 on the fabric.  I wasn’t cheap on purpose but we had $11 in checking and I needed a make a formal.  I used a remnant of velvet for the bodice and the sleeves and skirt were some very cheap Halloween costume fabric. 
I got lots of compliments on it and wore it to several balls.  

My husband had been promoted before this ball so I bought this dress at Dillards.  Look at those crazy lace covered padded shoulders!  I liked that dress then and wore it to several balls too.  But I don’t much like it now.  
And no,  I didn’t color my hair.  We lived in California and I spent most afternoons in our front yard watching my children play.  Just the California sun bleached my brown hair that lighter color.  


I’m fine.  Just busy and I’m hopeful by December,  life will be more normal and routine.  
Hope to see you all soon 

❤️ Rhonda 

13 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized that the Marine Corps had n official birthday. That helps me make sense of some things I saw over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved going to the Birthday Balls with my husband too! Semper Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures and memories. You both look so proud and regal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful dress you made, so creative! It's amazing what we can put together on such a tight budget when we work at it. :)

    I hope things settle down for you. It's tough when life gets hectic like that. Hope to see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so much like me. $11.00 in the account make a dress for $7. I fits well also! You are so right Homemaking matters my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewn formal is beautiful. I can not believe you made it for only $7.00.

    Life gets busy....I am struggling to get Christmas ready, and blog as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look lovely and that handmade dress is so pretty. Amazing what a smart and resourceful military wife can accomplish. My grandmother had 4 children and made do with what she had (My grandpa was a career Navy man). What great memories for you all to share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and dresses, especially the one you made. The other one was quite lovely for the times.
    Thank you to your DH for his service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are wonderful....we have many memories of our Marine Corps Birthday Balls as well. I borrowed the dress for my first one---a long red number and white gloves up to my elbows! We had zero $ too :) Your dress was super and I commend you on your sewing it. My Marine had all sorts of remembrances as well...and then followed by Veteran's Day. Semper Fi!

    Looking forward to more posts...I have missed them :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos of you two, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband is a former Marine. Every year our oldest daughter calls to wish him a "happy birthday"! I remember going to to Marine Corps. Ball quite a few times. Still have many pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a handsome couple you make! You must have had a wonderful walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand about life and blogging seasons. I've been having a big of trouble keeping up this fall too. We'll be glad to see you back when you're ready. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Laura Lane of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐