If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Saturday, October 3, 2026

salmonella

My husband left to go to Arkansas to help his mother on September 16
They traveled two hours for her to get a medical procedure so they were on the road and ate restaurant meals for two days
Then they returned to her house
On September 22, he started getting digestive tract distress. He was feeling terrible but was somehow able to drive home to Oklahoma on September 26.  
he had to planned to stay in AR another week, but he wanted to be home.  
thankfully, his mother did not also catch his illness. 
On September 27, I took him to the emergency room as he had lost 17 pounds in less than a week.  

We were at the ER for about eight hours.  He had two IVs, lots of tests and a cat scan 
We were both very pleased with all of the care from the doctor and the many nurses and techs in and out of his room

The doctor was relieved to find out what the actual cause of my husband’s sickness was- Salmonella.  
I was very glad he did not have to be admitted as we were both told that was likely when he first arrived at the ER.

Once the test revealed what was causing his sick sickness, the doctor knew exactly what medications to prescribe.  
My husband was prescribed a special diet because his colon is so inflamed and four prescription drugs and one over-the-counter drug.  

He is following the doctors orders and even called the dr this week because he’s still feeling pretty lousy.  After describing his symptoms on the phone, they believed he was on the mend, but salmonella apparently can  take a long time to run it course
He is still quite tired and just in general feels lousy.


We have gone over all the food he ate- We do not know the exact source. It could have been a restaurant salad, it could have been salad toppings on a fast food hamburger, it could have been jalapeños on a calzone, It could have been undercooked eggs at a relative’s house and it could have been fresh salsa from the grocery store.   

undercooked chicken and uncooked eggs are the most likely source when other people get salmonella..  
I think we’ve all seen food recalls and warnings about bag salad, and fresh jalapeños, and eggs this summer

my advice is to take those warnings seriously.
Salmonella is no joke!   


I took a picture of my husband in the ER, but I don’t think he probably wants that on the Internet.  
I also took a picture of myself wrapped up in a blanket in the ER room.   I know from past experience that this hospital keeps their rooms quite cold so I wore long sleeves, but I was still very cold
The nurses kept putting  heated blankets on  my husband, and when they offered to bring me one, I happily accepted!


In  fun news,  a closeout store in our town was selling Amazon returns surprise boxes this weekend. 
 My daughter and Family bought some and said they had really good stuff in them
this was one of their boxes,
 A flat of canned peas, and a flat of dog food,
A large bundle of single serving peanuts,
Several kinds of fancy dog treats, and chicken treats
fancy wella Band-Aids
 a bundle of blank journals
 a bunch of little Coca-Cola
I don’t remember what she said is in those little green boxes in the center of the photo
and yes, they have a dog and chickens so the treats are perfect for them.










two grandchildren shown with the two Mystery boxes they bought for us

I should’ve taken pictures of everything, but I didn’t.
Amazingly one box had a pair of lounging pajamas that are my size.  
We also got three pair of windshield wipers and if you have priced those recently, they are pretty expensive.
My husband says they will work on our vehicle.
We also got a weighted vest that my daughter wanted, and you can see my granddaughter thinks she wants it too
I got two Identical purses , and I have already put my things into one of them
We  got two  Snackle  boxes, my daughter said they ended up with four of them
I  also got two nice glass rectangle food storage casserole type dishes with the plastic lids that snap on
We got the fancy cone collar for a dog which you can see my grandson modeling because he’s a silly 13-year-old.
 I think we got three boxes of gluten-free cookies that are actually delicious and a 12 pack of propel water restoring drinks.
  My husband has been drinking lots of Gatorade, electrolyte type drinks, so it will be nice to have another 12 pack in the refrigerator
we also got six boxes of fake aquarium plants but none of us have or plan to get aquariums 



sharing the weighted vest 



wearing the dog cone and a box on his head, but I cannot remember what was in that box.  
I’m not sure you can tell from this photo but they had a very good time with these mystery items.

Opening the mystery boxes was lots of fun!
  It was  the most fun I’ve had all week as this has been a rather hard week.  
Whether the  merchandise was worth the purchase price of $59 for each box, I’m not sure, but for entertainment value, it was more than worth it!  


Stay away from salmonella and be careful what you eat!
❤️ Rhonda 

And I’m doing this post on an iPad that I don’t normally use and it may look weird as it’s posted but it’s the best I can do right now

8 comments:

  1. The best thing you did that people SHOULD do is go to the ER if you suspect salmonella. Hope your husband continues to improve. Take care of yourself.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had no idea he had salmonella, we both just knew he was sick!

      Delete
  2. So very happy to hear your hubby is on the mend. That had to be scary for sure. Glad no one had it.
    I never heard of those boxes - that is kind of neat.
    Good to see you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are fun. Under normal circumstances, I probably would not of risked it but after these 2 hard weeks, we needed a distraction and this was almost like a tonic.

      Delete
  3. I’m sorry to hear about your husband being so sick! But, he didn’t have to be admitted so i always consider that a plus. Why are hospitals always so cold?
    What fun with the boxes! I’ve never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the cold hospital temps had to do with slowing down but germs, but who knows?
      There is nothing “green” about American medical practices. There are so many one time use, disposable medical items. I do understand the safety behind them but I imagine really green people almost go nuts when they see it all.

      who knows? I’m just thankful they could help my husband.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your husband is on the mend. I think it's a nice touch when a hospital offers a heated blanket to a patient's relative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope yiur husband mends sooner rather than later.
    THe boxes look like fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐