If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......
Photo was taken around Christmas 1962 when I had just turned 5. That is my pretty mom behind me. She made the cross stitched clock on the buffet. The stocking with my name on it was made her mother and delivered to me before my first Christmas even though I was not even a week old. My apron was made by great grandmother. I come from a long line of homemakers who did stuff and got lots done.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Retro - and quite delicious-strawberry pie

My mom found this recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook - I don't know what year but I am guessing a 1960s edition or so.  She made it often, especially for Sunday lunch.
I copied down her recipe years ago and cooked it yesterday for our lunch today.

Below is a photo of my recipe card- I had to make one change. Sliced and sweetened frozen strawberries, they used to come in a rectangle can- are not sold anywhere around here. So I used a pound box of fresh strawberries, chopped them in about 1/2 inch size pieces and added just 2 T of sugar. Then I stirred them into sugar free strawberry jello, as the recipe said to.

I used a 9 inch baked crust, instead of the called for 8 inch baked crust. 
Today, it was topped with cool whip but it would of been even more delicious with real whipped cream. 

Hope you all had a happy pleasant Mothers Day.  Some of our children were here today for lunch. I made this pie and quiche. My husband grilled chicken and my daughter cooked homemade Mac and cheese and 7 layer dip with chips. 

Strawberries are plentiful and low cost right now.
 If you need a quick dessert, I recommend this retro Strawberry Minute Pie.


10 comments:

  1. Yum! This reminds me of a strawberry pie I make. I think I will try this one soon since I have lots of strawberries that are ripening. Hope you had a nice Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!! We buy strawberries to eat with our cereal; I've never made a strawberry pie.

    All our kids were here today except four of the grandchildren. One of the sons-in-law cooked for us. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like a slice for breakfast, please...be right over :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that pie from my childhood! Our Walmart carries those strawberries sliced, in sugar and frozen.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful day....kids, love, and good food! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the pie and the funny tinned strawberries. I loved the "Key" that you used to open the can. My job as a kid was to open the berries, but my klutzy kid fingers could never wind it past the corners correctly. Pie for breakfast sounds like a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the strawberries in the cans, though by the time I cooked much, they were in waxy cardboard boxes.
    We had our family gathering on Saturday evening. Greg rotisseried chicken and his brother made a brisket. Not many sides, but we had a nice dessert buffet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe for this yummy Strawberry Pie sounds delicious! I remember having a pie like this a while back, and I've pinned your recipe to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds easy and wonderful. I have an abundance of strawberries right now and will have to make this. Thank you!
    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Mother's Day Rhonda. Hope you had a wonderful day.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks good! Happy Belated Mother's Day to you and I hope that you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - thanks for telling me what you think.

Jeff and Rhonda

Jeff and Rhonda