If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, January 1, 2016

New Years Day- cooking, sewing, walking and CVS

Happy New Year everyone!  

I'm hoping 2016 will be a year to be more organized and to plan ahead more.  
One thing I need to do is keep some bread in the freezer.  I make whole loaves sometimes and we serve it warm or as toast,  but for sandwiches,  we prefer homemade buns.  They are simple to make and I've blogged about them so many times.


They are bread dough but rolled and cut into circles instead of baked as loaves.
I slice them almost all the way once they cool and then I freeze them until we need a sandwich.  
Buns just stay softer and don't get crumbly like sliced homemade bread seems to.  
Above are the dozen buns I baked today.  


Our traditional New Year's Day meal is black eyed peas served with rice and stir fried cabbage
This is an easy meal to cook and it just tastes so good.  We may just have it on the first day of every month this winter.  
The little boy is a thrift store purchase from years ago.  His face and yellow curls look a lot like our little JJ.  



Of course I've made the standard resolution to exercise more.  I walked 2 miles this morning with a free video on YouTube.  Leslie Sansone has put out many walking program DVDs and she even has several full length ones available on her YouTube channel. 


I have a craft room chock full of supplies, many are from my mom's downsizing.  I have lots of good stuff so I am hoping to sew a little every day in 2016, even if it's just 15 minutes.  
Today,  I hemmed these 2 panels and made them into 2 generous size kitchen towels.


A heads up if you shop at CVS- these printable coupons are available on the CVS.com website with the other manufacturer coupons.  You can print each one twice and they will make for free or very low cost purchases.  I used these several months ago and was happy to see them available again.  
The first one is $2/2 Gold Emblem nuts.  CVS sells single serving nuts for $1 so with 2 of these coupons, I think I can get 4 bags free.  
The second one is $2/2 snack items. I think their popcorn and chip type snacks are $1 are bag so I may get 4 bags free. 
The last one is $1 on any Gold Emblem grocery or beverage item.  I'm not familiar with what CVS sells but I am pretty sure I can match it up with something we use for a good deal.  

Also at CVS, today is the day that quarterly bonus extracare Bucks come out.  If you have shopped there in the last 3 months, you can check your reward on the CVS app or at the scanner in the store or they may send you an email.  
I got $2 - not much but it is based on your final prices paid, not before coupons, and since I didn't spend much actual cash there,  I'm happy for the $2. 

That's the highlights from my first day of 2016.  I hope to do lots of home stuff and to blog about anything that's worth sharing.  

Happy 2016 everyone!

24 comments:

  1. I remember the Leslie Sansone walking videos - didn't know she was on youtube. Love the kitchen towels you made. I've never shopped at a CVS - they're building one in our town now and it should be open next month, I believe. Will have to check them out when they open. Happy New Year, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, I really enjoy figuring out the deals and the big savings at CVS. It can be complicated but I think it's worth it.
      Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  2. I had a Leslie Sansone vhs tape many years ago and used it when I couldn't walk outside. Gosh, that was 20 years ago now. Heading to YouTube now to check out her freebies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, I think I've tried all her free ones and I like them all. Hope you find some you like.

      Delete
  3. I am convicted by your blog title every time I come by! I want to sew, it's the one thing that when I do it, I feel like I'm doing what I was created to do. It's strange. I rarely sew. I always have something else I need to do first. Maybe it's because I have to haul everything out and figure out what to do next. I've even written a blog post about how to fix that problem. I need to preach to myself a bit!

    I do hope this is your very best year yet. I shall pray for you as soon as I hit publish. God is yet good.
    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura, thank you so much for praying for me, you are so sweet!

      I hope you find a solution to make sewing convenient. I have a sewing room now but when we had 4 children at home, I sewed lots and I either did it at the kitchen table or on a desk in our bedroom. I know you what mean about the satisfaction from sewing. I am not an expert or fussy sewer but I just enjoy making stuff.

      Delete
  4. You've encouraged me to set some exercise goals. I used to walk with Leslie Sansone. Hubby is home full time now and so it has become difficult to find a place in the house where I won't disturb him. :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgene, I hope you find some exercise that works for you.
      Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Dear Rhonda,
    Happy New Year to you!
    I love the look of your rolls and keeping them in the freezer.
    I also love the flour sack towels! They are beautiful! Last year I had times where I just did 15 mins to half an hour of sewing as I could. I was amazed hiw much that all added up. I got heaps done. So this is how I will go about it this year. We are just doig. Some renovating jobs then the sewing machine is coming out! I hope this is a great year for your family, with love, Annabelxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the buns in the freezer really works for us.

      So far I have done sewing every day, but it is only the 3rd day of the year. But I want to do as much as I can and your productivity is inspiring.

      Delete
  6. Hi Rhonda! Happy New Year! That's a great idea about the buns. Yours look delicious. I should get some of those walking tapes. We only have about a dozen streets in the village and since I walk three miles every day, it can become monotonous. Those kitchen towels are really cute, but your "thrift" find is even cuter!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Leslie Sansone has been around a long time, I'm pretty sure you can find her tapes or DVDs at a thrift. I like the ease of watching on YouTube.
      Thank you for the compliments, I am pretty fond of both blond cuties :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Rhonda,

    We also enjoy homemade buns. My! your grandson is cute! He does favor your New Year's figurine.

    Happy New Year to you!
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Rhonda! I love your new towels so much! How cute! And thanks for the heads-up about the CVS coupons. I have gotten away from shopping there but may have to check back in if those coupons are still available.

    I hope you have a lovely, productive week! Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. CVS can be tricky but I enjoy figuring out the deals and the savings really do stretch our grocery dollars.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Rhonda to you and your family!!! I have some of her DVDS that I used when losing (and now regained) weight. I am hoping to do the 10 minute a day at least sewing this year. I would like to do quilts for the 3 great nieces and 2 great nephews for Christmas and maybe their parents will see!!! Have a Minion quilt to do for Teigan for her 2nd birthday and that party will be Jan. 23rd so I better get moving. Starting with a panel. I rarely go to CVS but always amazed at your purchases. Allen works tom. to get his 6 weeks vacation for the year and he is retiring so will be changes there. Of course I am still working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, that is exciting your husband will be retiring, and how can Teigan already be close to 2? It goes fast.
      I am a huge fan of CVS. The deals can be complicated but it works for me.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year, Rhonda! Is the little thrift store boy ceramic? My grandmother had a set of holiday figurines that looked a little like him. She had Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and Easter ones; I don't remember if she had one for New Year's. That sweet little JJ is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lori, New Years boy is a handmade ceramic piece that somebody did, he is not marked. He is about a foot tall. Your grandmothers sound cute, I've never seen another one like our boy but now I am going to keep an eye out for the other holiday boys. I agree that JJ is precious. His personality matches his looks too.

      Delete
  11. Your flour sack towels are wonderful!I have never made my own buns. I really must try that this year. We use many of them when the weather is warmer with grilling and eating sandwiches.

    Funny how much JJ looks like Mr. New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buns are easy Wendi, I know you would like them. I bought the New Year guy years before we got our JJ :)

      Delete
  12. Long time reader, first time commenting. I'm a CVS fan too, I love the lite popcorn bag in the $1 section, the $1off coupons work on that too. I have a Leslie DVD but use her online ones too, along with Jessica Smith and Richard Simmons' Disco Sweat and Sweat & Shout.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you share your recipe and instructions for your buns and bread? I have tried several and they don't turn out very good. I need a recipe to try. I have stopped trying. :) Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐