If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Monday, July 1, 2013

scenes from my parents home

we made a quick trip down to the NE Texas area to see our parents this weekend.
I always do some cooking while I am there- I like cooking and my parents and brother really appreciate meals they don't have to cook.
This cooking session took about an hour and I made my Aunt Bernice's Mexican casserole, goulash, corn on the cob from my brothers garden last year, honey oat bread and a salad with tomatoes from Dad's backyard garden.
After I cooked it,  I put most of the food in containers that could store the extras in the fridge.  They will enjoy being able to heat up servings - at least until it is all gone.  Then my dad will say it is time for me to come back.
I wish I could of cooked more for them but it was a short visit.....

My mom has always done handwork and I thought you all would like to see these 2 quilts.
One is scrap nine patch- those nine patches are really tiny too, maybe 1 inch squares finished.
They are hanging on an oak quilt rack made by my Uncle Rex- the pie maker.  
the other quilt is a scrappy yo-yo.  It is not really a quilt, as it is just one layer of yo-yos with no backing and is only for decoration. I think it is so pretty- a really happy piece of handwork.
the yo yos spread for a better view


linking to
A Cultivated Nest

10 comments:

  1. All the love and effort that surely went into the sewing of those yo yos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcia, I think doing handwork is just part of our DNA. thank you for compliment

      Delete
  2. How nice of you to do that for your parents.:-) Those quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Precious. My parents do so much for us too, and always have. I think Mom's quilts are beautiful too.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous quilts. It's rare I don't see one that I love! The auctions always have some...and they go for a good price, too!

    The food looks wonderful. I love cooking, like you, so it really doesn't seem like a chore, does it?...and I know your parents appreciate it. That's a nice variety of stuff to have in the refrigerator just ready to heat up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Betsy, I have not seen very many quilts that I don't love either. Cooking is not my dad's favorite thing to do, but he is great at heating up servings on a plate in the microwave :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful quilts and quilt rack! It's great that you cooked for them to heat up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those quilts are gorgeous!! I found a yoyo table runner at an antique store not long ago and of course had to purchase it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, so nice of you to cook for them. I love love the quilts. Also the rack. My MIL died in '95 and we have different projects that she had started that I should get out and see about. Seems there was a bunch of yo yos if I remember right.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐