If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Frugal July part 2 and a challenge

 good morning everyone
From the comments on my last post, it seems a lot of us are watching our budgets so here are a few more of the frugal things from our home

We went to Walmart to get spray paint for our metal patio table set.
We saw pineapples and cantaloupes were marked .97 and since we really enjoy summer fruit, we picked out these.
 But at the register, the cantaloupes scanned for $1.88 each.  We told the cashier and she changed it. 
This Walmart is mostly correct, except the produce department has wrong signage too often,  
So...... I watch prices and watch the register. 
I haven't been in CVS is weeks but I had a few deals I wanted to do,


After coupons and a $2 quarterly CVS ECB,  my total was $1.56 and I paid that with a gift card.
And I got back a $2 ECB.  So I guess this was sort of a .44 money making deal.  
I haven't been to CVS because the deals do take planning and I've done so many deals there in the past,  I am just stocked up on everything at home. 

My parents had some nice candles but they can't burn them st their retirement home. 
So, they gave them to me.  I'm not crazy about burning candles but I do like to scent our home with wax melts in wax warmers. 
Did you know if you put a jar candle in the freezer, that it will slide right out of its container?


I froze this one, un-jarred  it, and then cut it into chunks.  It is highly scented and these wax chunks will work perfectly in my wax warmers.



I read on Patsy's blog  about a 100 day sewing challenge she is doing.  It's perfect for me as I want to sew and have so many supplies on hand.

A Working Pantry
I'll keep track of my progress on my iPad.

My first day of the challenge, I sewed curtains for this front window in the dining room,  the previous  pink toile curtains were nice but they clashed whenever I put seasonal decorations on the dining table.   Pink toile just doesn't work with fall pumpkins or summer Red White and Blues. 
So I put the toile ones on the craft room window and sewed these brown pindot ones with some brown bead trim on the bottom hem. 


19 comments:

  1. Your new curtains are pretty. I like your window. I did not know that about freezing the candles, but I will def. try it. About watching the register while the cashier is ringing up your purchases, I like to do that too, but it seems more and more that they keep the little digital display turned so I can't see it. I reached up and turned one the other day and the cashier looked annoyed with me. I guess I should have asked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new curtains are pretty. I like your window. I did not know that about freezing the candles, but I will def. try it. About watching the register while the cashier is ringing up your purchases, I like to do that too, but it seems more and more that they keep the little digital display turned so I can't see it. I reached up and turned one the other day and the cashier looked annoyed with me. I guess I should have asked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing well! The sewing challenge sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the candle tip! I've always melted them out of the container, but that can get REALLY messy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about freezing the candles either, so thank you for sharing that tidbit of info. Looks like we can all use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed both this post and yesterday! I love the idea of peeling oranges and having them ready to eat. I have wasted oranges in the past. Never again! Your curtains are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sewing challenge sound fun. I sew every day but would like to sew for me once in while. Like the deck umbrella needs work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. I never would have thought to do that to the candle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip on the candle. I always watch the screen and check my receipt before leaving the store. I find that most cashiers are good about correcting the error when you catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been doing Patsy's challenge too Rhonda! You were fast though and whipped up something so pretty! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda, thank you for mentioning my sewing challenge! You're off to a great start! I'm using a year at a glance calendar page and marking off the days that way. Keeping up with your progress on your ipad ... hmmm, I like that idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip about the sewing challenge. I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great tip about the candles! I am also in the sewing challenge! I love the curtains so you are off to a great start.
    I also loved your last savings post. Thank you! With love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great hint on the candle! I am another watcher at the register. Here K-mart use to be so bad about the sale items not ringing up right. For awhile I stayed out of K-Mart because I found this toy for my niece that was at a very low price marked on tag in the section and at checkout the manager was around there and saw it and WOULD not let me have it for that. We went around and around and it was a few years before I went back there.
    Curtains are nice----like the added fringe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to check out the sewing challenge. I have a couple of things I'd like to do for Christmas this year, and I suspect we'll be making curtains for Jess's house. They didn't leave much, and what is there leaves much to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on everything! I love the idea of cutting up the candle for the wax warmer. I have one, but have never really known how to use it. Do you just put the wax piece inside the bowl alone or in water? Someone sent me a wonderful bag of wax squares & I'd love to use them!!

    I'm currently working on some greeting cards. My friend is incredibly talented and she's bringing a design for us to try! I love having talented people in my circle! I'm a copier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just put a cube or 2 of scented wax in the warmer and turn it on- no water. The warmers usually use a small light bulb that melts the wax and then the scent spreads through the room.

      Delete
  17. Sheer genius on how you used the candle--I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to have to try your trick with the candles. I have a scentsy wax warmer that I have never used but will have to get it out once the weather is cooler again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐