If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, May 11, 2018

Two frugal things- $1 carpet cleaner and 1/2 price dishwasher tabs

I tried 2 new to me ways to clean, and spend less this week.  
I used this LA Totally Awesome cleaner, bought at the Dollar Tree for $1 in our carpet cleaning machine
and I tried cutting dishwasher tabs in half.  

Both gave great results.  



On the back of the bottle, it lists many things this cleaner is good for.  I’ve only used in the carpet cleaning machine and am very happy with how it removed pet stains on our 18 year old white carpet and on 2 rugs.  It doesn’t have much of a scent.  And it’s so much cheaper than those name brand jugs of carpet cleaner.  I’ve use commercial cleaners and I’ve mixed up homemade versions.  This Awesome is best of all them in my opinion.  



I had a small stockpile of these fancy dishwasher tabs.  (  Did you know that the high value dishwasher tabs coupons only come out in January? The ones that are $2- $2.50?  I read that somewhere and so far it seems to be true. )
Anyway,  I tried cutting 2 of the dry type ones in half and using just 1/2 a tab per dishwasher load.  
I’ve ran 3 loads and the results have been good too.  

The tabs are fairly easy to cut with a knife but do be careful as it takes a bit of pressure.  
It also makes some crumbs so I am only cutting 2 at a time and keeping them in small container.  
The 3rd tab in the photo seems to be all liquid and gel so I won’t be cutting that kind in half.  

I’m not loyal to any particular brand of dishwasher soap but I do want a kind with bleach as the bleach-less types don’t seem to remove coffee and tea stains in our hard Oklahoma water.  I know lots of people have good results with homemade cleaners but they haven’t worked for me.  


And I have to say that neither of these are my original ideas.  I saw a YouTuber talk about the Awesome cleaner for carpets and the dishwasher cutting tabs on a blog, I think it was 
sunny simple life

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I'll have to try cutting my tabs in half! Thanks for that tip. I like the convenience of the tabs and they seem to work the best of what I've used recently but I dislike that they are pre-portioned. I've always used less of the powder or liquid in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also used that LA's awesome all purpose cleaner, actually to clean the floor of a garage at a rental we were vacating. I got all of my deposit back. : ) I am a BIG fan of LA's product line, none have ever disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only use half the recommended detergent when I wash my clothes. They always come out clean and smell great. I will have to try cutting the tabs in half when I get the hard kind. I am using the soft ones right now. I am not brand loyal either

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use half on just about everything. I LONE Awesome from Dollar Tree - that is some good stuff.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be chopping my dishwasher tabs in half later today. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now I am having trouble with my glasses coming out looking awful foggy from the dishwasher. I use a simple powdered detergent, since tabs are so expensive. Even adding vinegar to the machine when washing isn't helping anymore. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have hard well water and have found that adding 1/4 tsp citric acid powder to each loaf makes a huge difference. We bought a 5 pound bag from Amazon and haven't even used half of it in a year.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I made a homemade detergent a few months back, and it had the powder in it, it worked well, but then I ran out. I'll make another batch and see if that may be the problem.

      Delete
  7. Never thought about cutting the dishwasher tabs in half. Well I'll be trying that tomorrow! Thanks for the idea. I'll look for the carpet cleaner too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a dishwasher, but I only use half the laundry detergent in each load that is recommended. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea with the tabs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I plan to deep clean carpets this summer. I will for sure keep that Totally Awesome in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great ideas! I cut fabric softener sheets in half, or not use one at all. Cutting the dishwasher tablets in half sounds like a great idea. I would definitely use the carpet cleaner, but don't have any carpet, since we moved. Using less or half of lots of things is a good frugal thing to do, like some of the other commenters said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea you even could cut those tabs in half. I will have to try that the next time I have some on hand. I'll have to pass on the carpet cleaner idea to my cousin. He has a carpet cleaning machine and his dog has accidents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Awesome! A few years back a lady at a flea market store told me about for a quilt I purchased to use on stains on it and it got the majority of them out. I love it for laundry and cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been using awesome for years. It is a great spot cleaner.It also cleans my tile floors beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the Awesome spray for lots of things. It is great to spray on the front of your car to remove bugs! Spray it on and run through the car wash... no scrubbing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐