If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, November 2, 2018

Changing gears

When I started blogging, I was employed, my husband was working and our children were all young adults, some were students and we had no grandchildren.
We also had to be very careful with our finances.  

A lot has changed since then.  
I left my job almost 9 years ago.  
For 9 years, we had at least 1 grandchild here most every week day while their parents worked but now all the local grands are in full time preschool and school. 
My parents have moved to our town. 
And my husband has been retired almost 4 years.  
And we have fewer financial obligations.  
Many days now, it just my husband and myself and we enjoy spending time together and doing tasks together.  

When I started blogging,  I was very busy with homemaking, careful shopping, crafting, budget cooking and decorating.  
I still live somewhat  “if you do stuff, stuff gets done” but I’m also enjoying some slower days and more relaxing hobbies like jigsaw puzzles and reading and just being Un-busy is suiting me these days.

I haven’t blogged in awhile because life is good here but it’s different.  
I want to blog but my focus will be slightly different.  I’m still homemaking but on a smaller, slower scale. 
Some of you may still follow me but I expect others won’t be interested.  

Enough chatter- here is what’s been going on here 

Breakfast this morning was New York Crumb cake.  It’s a Martha Stewart recipe and I’ve been baking it for more than a decade.  I have no idea why it doesn’t have better ratings on her site as it’s so good.  I’ve made it for lots of people and everyone likes it.  
I like the recipe because it’s uses only basic  ingredients and fast to mix up.  


We enjoyed it very much at breakfast and I took part of it to my parents.  


A hobby I’ve rediscovered is jigsaw puzzles. 
They are a fun group activity and  when I work on one alone,  I find them very relaxing,

The only problem I have with puzzles is our dog, Ducky, thinks the pieces are yummy.  I have to be vigilant in picking up pieces that fall on the floor as he will destroy a puzzle piece in no time.


Our daughter’s front door was barely hanging on so I helped my husband fix it this morning, 
The builder used those short screws 😱to install the door to the doorframe. 
My husband replaced all the short screws with the longer screws. 
That door should stay in place now.  



I’ve mentioned our youngest son many times in my posts.  
He recently married an amazing partner.
We are happy to have both of them in our family.






15 comments:

  1. Glad to see a post by you today. I was a little worried you hadn't been feeling well. You keep writing, I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your blog - thanks for the update. And, a big congrats to your son & his partner, and joining your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life always evolves and it sounds like yours is in a nice place. Congratulations to your son and his partner on their wedding. Love is always a cause for celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your son and his partner. Thank you for sharing the crumb cake recipe. I printed it and will be making it very soon! I also love recipes with basic ingredients since I always have those on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, congratulations to the newlyweds! May they enjoy a lifetime of happiness together!
    No need to apologize for your blog changing--as your life changes, why shouldn't your blog? Write about what you want; it will always resonate with plenty of people out there. There's much to ponder and appreciate in even the most ordinary of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the need to switch gears. My blog always centered around raising a family but now that they are grown it’s morphed into something a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your puzzle. It was interesting to read your history of blogging. I must have started following you long after you started blogging. Your husband retired about 2 years (I think) after I started following your blog. so much has happened in all our lives since that time. One is your son just got married. It's awesome when the children marry someone that you get the parent's approval. I wish them happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life changes, and I am glad that things are easier for you. Enjoy the retirement years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to the newlyweds!!! They make a beautiful couple! I for one, love your blog and a slower paced home life suits me fine. I am looking forward to my own retirement in 7 years, right now I have two beautiful grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, yes, life slows down... thank the Lord! Enjoy! My dog grabs my ball of yarn if it hits the floor, and off he goes to the other side of the room. I have to laugh as he looks so cute when he does it, but I quickly grab it back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to the newlyweds!

    I enjoy your blog, keep blogging!
    We are retired here also and life is different for sure. More time to do the things we want or to just hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the newly weds!

    I for one am very happy that you are back from your blogging hiatus. I will always read your blog my friend. Retirement is a juggling act. It is wonderful to be able to choose to be busy or to just relax. I have taken to doing what we feel like that day. On my high energy days, I am very busy; others not so much. So I understand. Just slowing down a little and really enjoying life is wonderful.

    Thank you for posting the crumb cake recipe. It looks scrumptious. It will give me something else to make for our Sunday breakfasts.

    It is just amazing to me the corners that builders cut to save a few cents. It was nice of you to fix it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll always read your blog, no matter your focus. I always enjoy reading about what's going on in your life. Our son is finally moving out (he has lived here for two years since graduating college) this coming weekend into his own apartment, and so our lives are going to change a bit, too with finally being empty nesters. We were "kind of" empty nesters when our son was away at school, but now it's "for real". And we're both looking forward to this next chapter in our lives. But that's how life goes, right? Things ebb and flow. Maybe one day, we'll have little grandkids around like you have had for quite awhile, who knows.

    Congratulations to your son and his partner. They look like a wonderful couple. May they be blessed with many happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to see you back! I'll definitely be sticking around. I often repeat the title of your blog to myself when I don't feel like doing stuff...but if I do it, it'll get done. You're definitely an inspiration!

    Congratulations to your son and his husband!!! May they have a beautiful lifetime together filled with love and peace. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good looking couple.:) You had many positive responses as you should have. We had talked about this long ago and you were concerned. Humanity surprises us, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐