If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Monday, November 18, 2013

Planning for Thanksgiving

Good morning! Thanksgiving is 10 days from now and I have not done much planning as we have just been focused on husbands surgery. That seems to of been a big success, he even went back to work today on light duty.
So, yesterday I started a list of things to do for the Thanksgiving meal and to start getting ready for Christmas.
One thing that is easy to do ahead is pie crusts.
I used my favorite recipe and made 2 batches. So, there are 5 pie shells in pans and 3 discs of dough that can be rolled out for top crusts or if we need more bottom shells.
This is the recipe I have been using for about 20 years, complete with a few splatters. 
I use regular Crisco for pie crusts and that is about the only thing I use Crisco for except for my Aunt Bernice's brownie recipe. 

I know Crisco has a terrible reputation with the food police but it doesn't scare me much. My grandmother baked a pie or 2 every morning, even before she cooked breakfast. Grandpa loved homemade pie so that is what she cooked. 
Even eating all that pie, Grandpa was healthy all of his 89 years and Grandma enjoyed 99 years on this earth. I don't bake pies every day but we certainly enjoy them at holidays and pie always remind me of my sweet grandparents and all the special times we shared. 
[campbell+097.jpg]
My pie making and pie eating grandparents on their 33rd anniversary in 1949.
I am very thankful they were my grandparents.  

This is going to make kitchen cleanup for the Thanksgiving 2013 a lot easier!
A brand new dishwasher- it is so quiet and cleans dishes better than any dishwasher I have ever used. 



15 comments:

  1. You are so efficient! I love that! Congratulations on your new dishwasher.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Carol, sometimes I feel very efficient but other times, not so much.
      the new dishwasher is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you finally got that new dishwasher, and yes, salespeople can be pushy sometimes. I'm lazy, I order our pies from Marie Callendars. Always have, always will. Pick up day is always a bit crazy, but fun as folks are pretty good about it.

    Unhealthy eating and living can shorten some folks life, but I believe it really is about the genes you inherit. My grandpa (moms side) passed away at 84....smoked since the age of 12!!!!. He suffered a minor heart attack at 78 and was pretty ticked off his doctor called his employer and stated he had to retire!!...they messed with his Protestant work ethic. The last year of his life he had puenomina three times and sadly the final time did it. My grandma (moms side) lived to 88, died quietly in her sleep, and she too smoked. We don't smoke, but my dad's side which lived a bit healthier all seem to die between the ages of 60-77. Here's hoping I take after my mom's side.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jilly, I hope you take after your mom's side too.
      We do try to watch what we eat but those health experts change their recommendations so much.

      Delete
  3. This is sure a good way to be less stressed while cooking the Thanksgiving meal! I'm thinking, you probably freeze the pie crusts? Good idea!

    I can't use my dishwasher because of drain problems; farm repairs always come first around here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all those crusts are frozen now, just ready to use when I need them.
      I know about farm repairs- maybe someday your DW will get fixed up. But if I had to live without some major appliances, my dishwasher and clothes dryer would be the least necessary.

      Delete
  4. I too think that Crisco has its place in this world :) I have a can for the recipes that call for it from time to time / not going to mess with the classics!
    Enjoyed your photo of your grandparents : )

    My family is not Italian but in both my marriages I married into Italian families, as did my sister. Those ladies fried all sorts of food in oil and crisco and had / have LONG lives. Why ? Because frying zucchini or cauliflower from your garden or eating home made cookies is not bad for you...duh :) I remember when we were all supposed to stop eating eggs or real butter and I thought to myself that the real stuff is probably best and over time that has proven to be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think you are right that real stuff is best tasting and healthiest for us.

      I think this photo of my grandparents is really nice, I love the hand drawn cardboard sign they are holding up.

      Delete
  5. Your pie crust look amazing. Mine always look like something the cat drug in. I am going to give your trick a try this year and your recipe as well. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old recipes with splatters on them! :)

    And your dishwasher looks wonderful! Yay for you! Did you get Lemishine to add to your detergent? That's one of the best tips ever...I still use it!

    Love the pie crusts in the freezer! I only need one crust for Thanksgiving (the other desserts are a crisp and a crunch cake) but if I was baking/cooking for a crowd, I would certainly do that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make my pie crusts ahead of time and freeze them, too. So did my mom and my Aunt Lillian. :)
    I use Crisco for my biscuits, too. :)
    I just linked up with Google Friends to follow you.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the exact same dishwasher purchased about 6 weeks ago! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our pie recipes are very similar! I agree concerning the Crisco. My grandmother used it all her life and lived to be 98 years old! :-) I hope you have the best Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐