If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, May 5, 2023

May 5- freezer cooking and food storage

Hello 
When we visited our son in January,  I looked through a few of their cookbooks.  I found a slightly different way to cook beans, especially to I
use the beans in future dishes.  I bought quite a few dry beans during the pandemic and with meat so expensive, this seems like the perfect time to eat those beans 
I don’t know what cook book published this- I just took a few phone photos of the recipes I was interested 

I did red beans, just like the recipe except no garlic and I used 2 bay leaves. 
I’ve always presoaked dry beans and I’ve never put in the salt until the beans were cooked tender.  
But this method worked great! 
I think I ended up with the equivalent of about 10 regular size cans of beans with one recipe.  

While I had the 4 quart crock pot cooking red beans, I made a big batch of pasta sauce in the bigger crock pot, 
 also to put in the freezer.  

Above is a link to my first blog where I explained my method for making what we call Roma Sauce (other people just call is spaghetti sauce 😉)

Another task on my weekly to do list was to look over our canned goods and food storage, to kind of check dates, quantities and if we short on something important.  It’s truly hard to know how much to have on hand.
I straighten everything up in the sewing room closet and the kitchen pantry.  
For 2 people living in our household,  I think we have plenty.
That shelf has canned meat and tomatoes. 
Lots of canned goods in the cubbies- each shelf will hold 32 regular 15-16 ounce cans- plenty of soup, vegetables, fruit
And probably more fabric than I will ever sew up 

Kitchen pantry - 


I don’t think you can really see everything in the photos - but after straightening everything, the only thing I put on my future grocery list is olive oil.  

I’m just showing this in case it’s helpful to anyone.  

And because it’s Cinco de Mayo, we had a sort of Mexican inspired supper.
2 grandsons are here and we ate late, after their ball practice 

Our favorite kind of nachos
Tortilla chips topped with refried beans, a jalapeño slice for people who like them and any kind of cheese
Then bake or broil until the cheese melts and the chips toast a little.  
Serve with toppings like salsa, etc if desired 

These are so yummy! 

❤️Rhonda 


















7 comments:

  1. I think I'll be looking at your spaghetti sauce this summer. I've been wanting to try some. Your pantry looks well stocked and very neat. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pantries look great. I have always used to cooker for beans and love how they turn out.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing recipes and pantry organization it helps and motivates me. - Rosa R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! I wish I had a wonderful kitchen pantry like that, although I do have a fairly nice one and we added shelf genie pull out drawers in the lower cabinets. One thing I will not be stockpiling is evaporated milk. I have so many expired cans. I guess I rarely cook anything requiring milk. If the milk-drinking grands are here, I freeze leftover milk in 1 cup containers. (any ideas for using the evaporated milk??)

    I am trying to use up some of my items in the guest closet pantry, but when I see a sale, I just can't help myself! Stockpiling has gotten in my blood I guess. We have been eating canned fruit as dessert as the dates are getting close to best-by. I have a lot of pumpkin...need to put that to good use. Maybe crustless pumpkin pie with canned pumpkin and evaporated milk!!

    Your spaghetti sauce recipe looks good. I am not really a fan of jarred either. One set of grands will only eat Prego Traditional and one group will only eat Rao's. I keep some on hand for when they are here, which is infrequent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pantry spaces!
    Cooked beans are a staple in my freezer. I did black beans last time, and am going to make black bean burgers for supper one night this week using an extra bag I thawed for Cinco de Mayo, but we didn't need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saved your crock-pot bean recipe. That will save on buying canned kidney beans for chili. I'm looking for a home-canned Bush's Baked Bean recipe. The one I tried was way too vinegary. I used the 3 pints I had left and even with adding the boughten Bush's and adding typical baked bean ingredients (minus the vinegar) it was still had a strong vinegar taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐