If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Frugal breakfasts- eat some and freeze some

When I looked in the fridge one morning,  I realized there were 3 older eggs and some milk that was not going to be fresh enough to drink much longer.
To avoid the chance those eggs and milk might spoil, I used them up right then in a triple batch of oatmeal pancakes.

I made some regular size pancakes and many silver dollar size pancakes.  Our grandchildren love pancakes and they really like the little ones that they can just eat like finger food and dip in a little serving of syrup.

My husband and I both had a short stack for breakfast. The rest of the pancakes went in a storage container in the freezer. It is very quick to heat up a handful of those tiny pancakes when the grands are hungry. 


I use Betty Crockers pancake recipe with just a few changes- to make one recipe, just stir up these ingredients until almost smooth.  It is easy to multiply if you want to make a bigger batch. 

Oatmeal Pancakes
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
2 T oil of your choice or melted butter
1 T brown sugar
1 t vanilla - this was my Uncle Jarvis's favorite flavoring for pancakes
2 t baking powder
1/2 cup flour- all purpose or whole wheat
1/2 cup oatmeal and I really pack this down when I measure it.  
1/4 t salt

This batter will look too thin when first mixed up but if you wait a few minute, the oats will soak up the milk and the batter will thicken just right.


My friend Terri a.k.a PennyAnnPoundwise has been adding some Year of Savings posts to her blog at Blue House Journal.  I am planning on adding some too.

also linking to the blog hop party
at
The Charm of Home

13 comments:

  1. Those pancakes look good! I love Terri's savings posts. Glad you are doing as well. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'll try this recipe! I just made a batch of breakfast burritos for a freezer yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on a budget too. Great idea! Say, thank you for your support on my blog.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this! It looks yummy and just right for my budget! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandsons like to get the pancake sandwich at McDonald's. (their mother takes them to McDonald's when she visits them) I can not afford to take them to McDonald's like that. But I can make those pancake sandwiches. I make a few sausage patties. Make the small pancakes. Put together and YUM YUM. The kids love them. I keep these in the freezer to make a quick breakfast for the boys on a school morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! What kid doesn't like pancakes and syrup!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Daughter, Hope you do not mind this comment from your Mom...Know your pancakes are much more delish (Aunt Bernice used to say "delish"} than McDonalds. This is just one example of how you stretch the grocery allowance as you have all of your life. With a husband and 4 children you absolutely had to be resourceful and now you have 5 grandchildren in and out and like all children when they are at Grandma's they want to eat! Your Mom is so very proud of the homemaker, mother and grandmother you have become. I know of no one who has done it better and although you have had many good role models in your life, most of the credit goes to you in becoming the woman you are today. And further, this 80 y/o learns something every time she visits you in your home. You are truly remarkable! Love-Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are not many photos of you and me, but this has always been a favorite. You look precious with your hair all curled wearing the apron sewed by your great-grandmother, not to mention your adorable smile. And must mention your mother was young, slim, and have been told by others "beautiful". Seeing your stocking this was around Christmas and your birthday. And wonder how my embroidered clock survived our move clear across the state of Texas and still running as this is written. A great photo, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture of you and your mom on your blog header and such sweet messages from your mom, above. :-)

    I don't eat pancakes for breakfast and no little ones around here anymore, but I used to make homemade pancakes a lot when the boys were little. Maybe one day I'll be making them again for a grandkid or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are back blogging at this site! Your blog title has always encouraged me. Sometimes when I am lazy I just think of your saying and I get moving...which means I need to get off the computer and do stuff so stuff gets done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda,

    These look wonderful!!!!!! I love the idea of doing smaller ones. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐