If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

New patio and bedroom makeover


We have wanted a bigger patio ever since we moved to to this home 15 years ago.
And now we finally have one 😄
It extends from our backdoor, under the pergola, all the way to the tornado shelter, my husband's shop and a good bit under the basketball goal.  
It's big enough for the picnic tables and chairs, and still plenty of room for the grandchildren to ride trikes or play.  



It needs prettied up still. The tables will get refinished and I want to add some planters with color.  My husband also needs to move back his grill and smoker.  We will add extras as we can but for now,  we are just thrilled to have the concrete patio.  
We like to do things ourselves but concrete on this scale is out of our ability range.  We hired a local man and he was so honest, skilled and hard working.  


In our bedroom, we wanted an adjustable bed.  My husband has bad knees and sleeps best when his knees are elevated.  I sleep best when my head is elevated a lot.  
So, we shopped on Amazon and picked out the motorized adjustable beds frames and compressed mattresses.  We learned through the reviews, that the bed frames are heavy.  So we thought we should replace the 17 year old white carpet before we put the heavy beds in.  We shopped at Lowes for some but there was a waiting list for installation.  So we decided to do the carpet ourselves with carpet tiles from Home Depot.
Before we pulled out the carpet, we moved out everything in this room.  While it was out, the walls were cleaned and paint touched up and the window blinds and window were cleaned.  
Doing all that made it feel like a brand new room.  


I ordered a king size bedspread but it was way too small as this bed is rather tall.  After shopping for 2 days for a big enough bedspread, I decided to order 2 king size fleece blankets and sew up one that would be big enough and still machine washable.  
My husband built the ladder to display quilts. 


I sewed the curtains and changed around the things on the walls.
We bought this vintage Ethan Allen vanity at our favorite thrift store a few months ago.  I didn't have it set up until we redid the whole room.
The lid lifts open with a mirror inside and cubbies for cosmetics and such.  I am really enjoying this vanity.


Actually, we are enjoying all of these improvements and are so thankful we could make them.

If anyone has questions about the bed or carpet brands,  I'll answer.

So after these two big expenses, can anyone guess what the theme at home will be for a good while?
Yep,  we are back in frugal mode and I plan to have quite a few frugal posts through July.  

23 comments:

  1. It all looks wonderful. It took my parents about 15 years to get their patio put in and have certainly enjoyed it the last 20 years. Love your bedroom and see your one patch pillows are still in use. Always amazes me that my quilts hold up in the wash...lol.
    Enjoy your frugal summer.
    blessings, Jilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jilly, so nice to hear from you. ♥️ Yes, I am using the postages stamp pillows here. That's why I wanted a solid color bedspread to coordinate with them, it's rather crazy I own so many quilts but none of them are even close to being big enough.
      Are you blogging? And how are things with you and your family? I'm glad you stopped by

      Delete
    2. Hi Rhonda, I stopped blogging for a number of reasons but mainly because I just felt I had run out of things to talk about...an Irish gal with nothing to talk about HA! I did start a blog on wordpress but no posts yet. Maybe in time.

      Then according to the VA, The Dude only has nine years left of life...due to all his disabilities. It is what they call "clock is ticking". God could have him around another 30 but we are trying to live like he does only have the nine left. We joke that before he became part of the VA system that he was perfectly healthy. And believe me there have been times I thought they were using him as a guinea pig.

      Since January he has been recovering from an arm injury and then we found out he is now diabetic. He had a two year warning but due to his PTSD he ignores things. I say that with his permission because he tries to help folks understand that PTSD is not a funny thing.

      I am on year eight of peri-menopause...doc keeps telling me the end is near but then a nurse told me to enjoy it as once in menopause a whole new can of worms open up. Oh, the joy of getting older, lol.
      blessings, jilly

      Delete
  2. My husband build me a "blanket ladder" and I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. I love the Ethan Allen makeup table. Love those pillows. Now is the time to get really good deals on flowers for pots and I was able to purchase most of my pots at second hand stores and then I just repainted them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with those carpet squares! They look awesome. I dream of having a vanity and I know you must really enjoy yours. It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty Rhonda! I love everything. That pergola is so nice. It will be helpful in the summer heat. I bet you haven't stopped looking at it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having concrete poured and building our back porch was the one of the best investments we ever made. We spend a ton of time out there.

    I am very interested in the carpet squares. How did the cost compare to having wall to wall carpet installed? Hubby wants to know if you have a slab or crawspace? Did you add carpet padding under the carpet squares? When you look at the floor can you tell that you installed carpet squares? He also wants to know if you had to use any adhesive? He is the questions man. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll answer all those questions if I can. The tiles are self adhesive and have a peel off backing. We have a concrete slab foundation. No pad - the tiles need the stable floor to adhere too.
      About the seams, in some places in our room you cannot tell there are seams every 2 feet but in other places, it is really evident. We are not perfectionists so that is OK with us.
      I have vacuumed them a number of times with a strong Dyson and none of the tiles seem to be loosening.
      The advantages to us were they cost less than 1/2 of the basic carpet we wanted Lowes to install. Time was an advantage too. Home Depot had them in stock so we were able to buy them and install them immediately. The HD website has lots of reviews on these tiles and reading them helped us decide to use them.

      Delete
  7. You and your husband have done a great job with the updates outside and inside. Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How are you liking the adjustable beds? I have been thinking about getting one but haven't begun the actual "store shopping" for one yet. Your bedroom looks very nice and I love your beautiful blankets on the display ladder you made. Great looking patio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy from Kansas. It must be wonderful to have a larger patio. I would think that you and your family will really enjoy this. Looks great. And your bedroom has turned out nice. LOVE your quilts. Beautiful! Your hard work has paid off. Nice to see your place.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your patio and bedroom look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new patio area and love the covered part in the center. You are going to enjoy your new area so much! Your bedroom is beautiful. Smart idea to sew the two blankets together to make a big enough spread. I am interested in the carpet squares and read your answers above to most of my questions. We need new bedroom carpet and I am having a difficult time deciding if I want carpet or tile. (we have dogs) I just love the look of your new floor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your patio area. The bedroom looks nice and calm. You have sewn some very beautiful quilts and I love the patchwork pillows on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhonda everything looks so great. Enjoy it. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow everything looks great! Could you share the brand of the bed and mattresses? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it all, but am especially glad to read details about the carpet squares. We're going to need new carpet in the master bedroom and the room that will go back to being a guest room once Jess and the kids move out. I'll have to take a look at them next time we're in a Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so in love with your little vanity table! Ethan Allen is my favorite furniture brand since it lasts and lasts. I have the headboard that my parents bought used when they were first married and it is still going strong. I also have a really nice dresser with the mirror that matches that my parents and I found at a Habitat Restore store. It came with 2 matching bedside tables that my parents wanted for $200 for the entire set! That was less than they would have paid for the bedside tables alone. Thus I got the dresser that they did not need for a very lovely birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What kind of blankets did you sew together to make a large one? I have this same problem--king sized bed that's rather high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn, I used 2 king size fleece blankets from Amazon. Our bed is tall and it took that much to make a bedspread size.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐