If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Homemade Calzones - Wonderful!

Hello - sorry to be gone for so long but I was sort of on a vacation at home while my grandchildren's educator parents were on their spring break.  Gavin was with us for one over nighter and Elizabeth was here one evening while her parents went to a movie.  Other than that,  I was home alone and found so many things to keep me busy as well as plenty of time for just relaxing.

One thing I did,  actually did it twice as they turned out so very good,  was to make homemade from scratch calzones.  They are delicious warm from the oven.  They are also delicious when they have been frozen,  then reheated in a microwave for 90 seconds.
Mine were filled with browned up hot Italian sausage,  mozzarella cheese, bell peppers and onions and just a little homemade tomato sauce. 

the dough is really easy to roll out and has no weird ingredients.  

baked ones.


I divided the dough into 10 pieces but I think making 12 would be big enough for a  main course helping.
I also plan on making much smaller ones to have for my grandchildren.

I like the Italian ones but also plan to do some taco ones, breakfast ones and maybe some cheese and veggies ones with no meat.

after they cool,  I bag them in freezer bags and freeze.  Jeff has taken them in his lunch box several times and I like something easy for my lunch too.

this dough recipe is from the Fleishmans yeast site.



Dough
3 to 3-1 / 2 cups all-purpose flour  
(both of my batches have used 3 1/4 cups flour for the right consistency)
1 / 2 cup cornmeal
2 t yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1-1 / 4 cups water
1 / 4 cup olive oil


Directions
Combine 1 cup flour, cornmeal, undissolved yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat water and olive oil until very warm (120o to 130oF). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.    I do the dough in the bread machine on the dough cycle  


Divide dough into 10 equal pieces; roll each piece to 6-inch circle. Place 1/3 cup filling of your choice on one half of each circle. Fold dough over filling; pinch seam or press with tines of fork to seal.  I think they seal better with just a little water rubbed on to one side too

Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Bake at 400oF for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Serve warm.

8 comments:

  1. These look yummy. Thanks for sharing.I have missed you.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! Toddler Girl loves calzones. I didn't think it was possible for her to be more excited over food but she was when her mama sent one for her lunch the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, I'm hungry for those, now! They would make a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those do look delicious. I really should treat Mr. Wonderful to these with the Italian sausage. Maybe I have been making him eat too healthy;-) Oh the things he would put inside them. Thanks for the recipe.

    blessings, jilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. we would love these...and how nice to pull them out of the freezer! I'm bookmarking this one, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breakfast calzones! That is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sound SO good!!! I haven't made them for years. I'm sure yours are delicious.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the great looking recipe. I will definitely try these.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐