If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Want to hear about another trip?

Hello everyone 
We returned late last night from a trip to Greencastle, Indiana.
We flew so we made stops one way in Dallas Fort Worth and Indianapolis.
On the way back, we also stopped in Chicago.  

Anyway- we visited our son and family including our youngest granddaughter who is almost 5.

Greencastle is home to DePauw university and their home is on the campus.  
We did several things on campus including a Hannukah service at the spiritual center and Christmas tree ornament making event at the art center.  
We heard a really good music program in the Gobin church and enjoyed looking at the amazing stained glass. 

We went through a science building and learned about turtles and iguanas 
  


I wanted to bring home all the plants in the greenhouse.  They were just amazing! 
This hanging plant was huge!
So many brand new succulents getting started 
This tree really big and old, and seems to be thriving.  I think the director said it has been there at least 40 years.  
The blooms on the giant tree

Indiana is home to a number of covered bridges. 
With help from a map, we went looking for the 9 bridges in that Putman County.
Indiana roads are very twisty, loopy, curved, meandering- and the covered bridges are mostly in very rural areas.  (Does anyone know why?  Most all of Oklahoma is mapped in mile sections with main roads going east-west and north-south) 
We managed to find 3 in that county and 1 in the next door county.  
Even knowing how to read maps and using Google directions,  these bridges are hard to find for us newbies.  
Dunbar bridge 
Houck bridge 
Edna Collins Bridge - named for a little girl who drowned there 
All the covered bridges in Putman county  are red. 

This white one is in the adjacent county
Big Rocky Fork Bridge 

We stayed at the Inn of DePauw,  this was in the lobby and I thought it was especially pretty 

We also ate some really yummy meals at our son’s home and Greencastle has some excellent restaurants.
We even had some good meals at the airports.  

If you’re looking for a unique vacation spot,  I recommend Greencastle.  There is a lot to do there and it has the feel of Hallmark movie town- small and charming.  


We don’t have anymore trips planned.  
I’ve been working on some meals to cook and ordering some good deals from Kroger.  
Meals away are great but we really enjoy eating at home too. 

Tonight is some beef stew cooking in the crockpot.  

That’s what we’ve been doing 
❤️Rhonda 


























11 comments:



  1. That was a very interesting trip. I enjoyed all the pictures and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what a fun trip! I love the plants in the greenhouse, the covered bridges (be still my heart), and the stained glass window is beautiful! How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tour of all the bridges! I would love to do that :) Your granddaughter looked so happy to be with y'all :) Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your pictures. You and your husband are so sweet together. I love hearing about your trips.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have many covered bridges in CT. The cover helps protect the bridge itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at all those covered bridges. What a fun way to spend the day. You found some interesting things to do on your trip and your stay at the inn looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought your comment about Indiana roads to be amusing. I am from Kentucky and roads are like in Indiana. Moved to Stillwater for my career (Armstrong plant). I thought is was perplexing that all the roads were in NS/EW and in squares. I am back in Kentucky with my windy hilly rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the straight roads 😀 Did you know the Stillwater Armstrong plant shut down about a year ago? It’s sad…….

      Delete
    2. Yes. I know. I was there as plant manager then Armstrong sent me to the Jackson Mississippi plant. When they told me it was my permanent place, I found another job closer to my home in Kentucky, It is very sad that Armstrong closed completely and sold out to another company. The management had no clue what they were doing and made so many poor financial decisions.

      I still have contact with many of the Stillwater employees. They were such a great team.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely trip! I have always wanted to visit that area. My husband lived in Indiana in high school. Looks like you had a wonderful time! The campus pastor at DePauw used to be a pastor here in OKC until the last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I met the pastor you are talking about- is he originally from SC and his wife and children are still living in Edmond? Tall guy with dark hair?

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐