If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Sunday, February 28, 2021

February 28- fried rice

Last day of February 


How I make fried rice 

In a big nonstick pan or wok, Sauté a large chopped onion in just enough oil (maybe 2 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon)  to keep it from sticking and burning.  
Then add about 4 cups of cooked rice - I use cold leftover rice and I always use parboiled or converted white rice (like Uncle Ben’s) that was cooked in a rice cooker.  
I add about 1/3 cup or more water with the rice,  cook it on high, stir often until it’s heated through.  
Then I add low sodium soy sauce until the rice looks the right color (or to taste)  Ive never measured the soy sauce, I’m guessing 3 tablespoons or so. 
Now, add heated up vegetables -this time I used 2 cups of frozen corn and 2 cups of frozen peas and carrots that have been heated in the microwave. 
The meat was about 1 cup off finely diced leftover roast beef.  
Now stir and heat it all together.  
I add black pepper and don’t usually add salt as even low sodium soy sauce has plenty of salt flavor.  

I never add eggs like traditional fried rice. 
Sometimes I sauté diced carrots and celery with the onion. 
Sometimes I sauté diced bacon and use a bit of the bacon drippings to sauté the vegetables and then use the bacon as the meat.  
Sometimes I don’t put any meat in it and sometimes I use leftover chicken.  Roast beef is my favorite way.  
If you’re not using a lot of oil like restaurant fried rice,  your cold rice needs to not be sticky and clumpy.  That’s why I like converted/parboiled rice as the grains don’t stick together.  

I’ve been making fried rice like this for years.   
And it’s just as good leftover as it was the first time.  

❤️Rhonda 


8 comments:

  1. I love fried rice and make it often, though I do add eggs to mine. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make fried rice like I do - whatever I have or want in it! That makes it the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. I make mine the same way except I use chicken, beef or veggie stock instead of water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't make it often because I really do not ike eggs.Bookmarking this1 I am going to try it your way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tutorial on fried rice---I love the stuff; just have to be careful, as rice spikes my blood sugar something awful.

    Interestingly, I don't remember my mom ever cooking rice---except for a wild rice and mushroom dish. We were potato people :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always add eggs to mine, but that looks delicious, even without the eggs!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you and your family are ok. crazy weather...
    Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐