If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Sunday, July 4, 2010

pickled jalapeno peppers

Georgene asked how I canned the jalapenos last weekend, so here is my recipe. It is a very simple easy way to preserve jalapenos.
We eat them with Mexican food, on chips with salsa, on pizza - I grew up in Texas and have been around spicy food most all my life. I think they are delicious but they may have too much heat for mild-food fans.
My brother is here for the weekend and he brought several sacks of produce from hi garden so now I have more peppers to pickle.



first - before you start handling the peppers, put on and leave on some kind of protective gloves.


Pickled Jalapeno Peppers(1 quart jar)

I doubled this recipe and got 6 pints and 1 half pint
Jalapeno peppers (about 2 pounds)
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt - I used sea salt
2 large carrots sliced,
1 small onion, cubed
1. Wash peppers and pack into a hot jar. Add carrot slices, celery sticks and a clove of garlic if desired. Pack tightly, leaving 2-inch headspace.

2. Combine vinegar, water and salt. Heat to boiling. Pour boiling hot liquid over peppers to two inches from top of jar top. Remove air bubbles by running a plastic knife or rubber spatula down the side of the jar, rotating, releasing trapped air between the peppers. Wipe jar rims clean. Adjust prepared two piece canning lid.

3. Process jar in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Using jar lifters, remove to a draft free area, and allow to cool. Check the seal. Label the container.

I found this simple recipe from Colorado State University Cooperative Extension.
other variations I found used pickling spices, garlic, oil, even sugar, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Rhonda,

    Thankx for posting this! I saw where you did some and was wondering about your recipe. Ours will soon need to be done and I will try this.
    We do pickles all the time but I have never tried any peppers. I did do a jar of sweet banana peppers this year (pint). We have hot banana peppers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so tasty! I'm not able to handle too much heat - I wonder if cutting out the membrane and seeds would make it a bit milder for wimps like me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwww! This recipe looks great! We have a lot of jalapenos in our garden. Way too many for salsa so I'm going to consider this as an option. Thanks so much!

    (I loved your story of the neighbors who used to sing in their garden!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐