If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Small gifts from the heart

Life seems to get more elaborate everyday, our houses are bigger, stores are huge,  parties and weddings are bigger and many gifts are big.
But some of the most meaningful gifts I've ever received are small, made with love gifts. 

This cross stitch book mark - I've kept it in my Bible since 1987.  Aunt Evelyn stitched patchwork hearts on one side and our names on the other. Isn't it so sweet? 
Son Bobby made this hanging heart from a wire clothes hanger- probably around 1992. 
Son Jimmy made this cross bookmark with variegated yarn and plastic canvas, free hand, probably around the same time his brother made the wire heart.
My Aunt Ann painted this light switch plate for me about 50 years ago - the plate is metal and I am pretty sure she used oil paints as they have been durable.

My mom made this little book for son Bobby when he was 1-2 years old. This was before fancy scrap book supplies.  It is just 3 large index cards folded in half and stapled together. She decorated it with stickers and cut out photos from my dad's farm magazines.  
It was one of Bobby's favorite possessions and was looked at and read so many times, I am not sure how it is still intact.

Gift giving season is starting- Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduations, weddings, spring birthdays and spring babies-  I think heart-felt little gifts can be wonderful. 


Do you have any  tiny love-filled gifts like mine?

13 comments:

  1. I do ~ lots of them were small things my girls made for my mother and now I have them since she passed away. And one of the best mother's day cards I ever got was one made on typing paper with pictures cut from magazines. I put farm pictures in a small album, for a grandson I kept a lot on Sundays, to help keep him quiet during church services. Memories come flooding back when I see that little book. Your little gifts are precious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I have a crocheted cross book marker my great grandmother made in my Bible and soooo many things my kids made. I got my first grandmother gift with my granddaughters hand print on a cup last Mother's Day so a new era of memory makers for me has started. Priceless! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a kitchen windowsill filled with misshapen clay bowls, mugs and decorative items ( snake, turtle and alligator) my sons made when they were small. Thankfully they were all fired in a kiln so water is not a problem. They are collectively my favorite things in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rhonda, what precious items you have. Worth far more than any money in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your precious handmade items! I do have things that my children have made, as well as a couple of cross-stitch wall hangings my mom made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post. And yes, I do have several little things that our children and grandchildren made through the years. They are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sweet treasures you shared with us today. I have to say, that light switch plate just tugged at my heart.
    I do have several small handmade and heartfelt things that are worth much more than any amount of money to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your keepsakes - such special treasures. I think my oldest cherished possession is a book my mom gave me for Christmas about 40 years ago. It is a hardback book of "growing up" stories titled "Stories to Live By" from American Girl magazine. I will keep it forever. It made me feel so mature to read about teenaged girls and how they dealt with their growing up struggles. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your treasures! If I had to choose a favorite, it would be the wire heart. I have some keepsakes made by our daughter--a pincushion, a basket, a Mother's Day note, and others. In an old scrapbook, I found letters from my grandmother--who passed away before I was born--to my mother. I plan to frame and hang them on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all so sweet! I just loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post made me smile and brought back so many wonderful memories.

    Thanks for making my evening.

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! It is a gentle reminder to enjoy the simpler things in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐