If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Gardening update

First, I was asked where I bought my portulaca -moss rose seeds   I got them on EBay for $1.79 shipped from this sellerSeeds and Scents
They shipped fast and also inclosed a free pack of wildflower seeds.

If you've ever been on Facebook or Pinterest, you've seen posts about regrowing vegetables from the the scraps of the vegetables you've bought at a grocery store.
I am trying it with the the root end of a celery and 3 romaine lettuce. I don't think I really read the instructions. I just sliced a very small sliver off the root end of each one, then let them set in a saucer of water until they sprouted. 


Most of the tomato plants are doing fine except for 2 in this planter. 
So, I added the celery and romaine in with the 2 cherry tomato plants. 

When I bought groceries today, celery was $1.99 at Aldi.  I bought some because I like it but I kept that root end too and hope it will sprout like the other one. 

It would be great if these actually produce an edible crop. I'll keep you updated.....

7 comments:

  1. I hope you have better luck regrowing vegetables than I did. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating on this too. I'm watching yours before I try mine.

    Hugs,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen those pinterest pins and wondered if they really worked. I did try the spring onion one and that one works. I'll be interest to find out if celery re-grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it with celery and it grew nicely in the garden. It seemed to take a long time to get to maturity and died over the winter. I was bummed but hope to try it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tried the celery one time with a few. They were growing nicely till they got mowed off by mistake. Allen always says he will try again--maybe I will remind him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen those around online and wondered if it really works. It would be fun if it did and it looks like yours have sprouted nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had good success with green onions. Celery seems a little trickier, it tends to die on me, but I did have one that grew well, and produced edible celery until the winter. The plant over wintered, but then it was woody, and we took it out. I think I need to soak them longer to get a better root system before I try to plant them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐