If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, April 24, 2020

Quarantine Update #13 - mask problems, a little sewing and question about DIY disinfecting wipes

Not much to talk about- I’ve done some weeding in the flower beds and am so pleased so many of our pretty perennials came back and look good.  

At the beginning of last week,  I ordered a spool of elastic for masks.  I wanted it as soon as possible and paid the $17 for expedited shipping speed - and $17 is almost double what the elastic cost.  This elastic is made in the US and is shipping from the US,  and I bought it through Amazon.  Well,  I’m shaking my head as that elastic has still not arrived and looking at the tracking, I’m not sure it has even actually shipped.  I think the seller made a shipping label for it but the package doesn’t seem to of moved.  
Amazon will make good on the waste of shipping money, if it ever does come or will refund my money if it doesn’t arrive by April 30.  
I still want to sew more masks though.   I did find clothesline cording with a Walmart pickup and will try to sew masks made by this method that Laura showed on her blog  here 
link to mask tutorial
It has a different way of putting in one long string that goes behind your neck and then ties on top of your head.  It also seems to be a very quick simple sew.  


Last month my daughter asked me to sew Easter eggs for a mantel garland.
This week she asked me sew these flowers.  They were simple and fun to make 

    


Disinfecting wipes 
At normal times,  I don’t use disinfecting wipes but now I’d like some and they can’t be found.  My parents wants some too.  
I just watched a YouTube video where  the homemaker poured Lysol and water into a pack of babies wipes and bleach and water into another pack.  Then she was using them to clean her home.  
I like the idea but I know regular bleach breaks down after 24 hours when mixed with anything.   and of course it’s not safe to mix bleach with any other cleanser. 
So I started looking at other advice and saw someone just add a cup of Rubbing Alcohol to pack of baby wipes.  
I have a bunch of baby wipes from a bargain purchase back when we had grandchildren in diapers.  

I like the idea of just using alcohol,  do any of you maybe have a science background and know if they would be effective as a disinfectant?  

And if any of you were going to do the Friday night paint along classes,  it may not happen today as their family has gone camping.  If their internet at the camping place is working, she will host it live on Facebook - Creative Disasters for Beautiful Minds.  
Tonight’s subject is supposed to be a cactus, which is not really my cup of tea.  She did a country church paint along a couple weeks ago and it is on demand on her page.  I’m thinking I’ll play it and paint a church instead of a cactus 🌵 

Hope you all fine. 
And we are one day closer to this situation being over- but I have no idea when that will be............
❤️ Rhonda 














13 comments:

  1. I do know from what I have read that the alcohol has to a certain percentage, for what, maybe 70%. But, if you put it with water or any liquid, you have diluted it. Don't go by me! So far, I have had enough Lysol Wipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this recipe for disinfecting surfaces on livingonadime.com 1/4 cup alcohol combined with 1cup of water and 1tsp Dawn liquid. It can be used in a spray bottle of poured onto homemade reusable cloth wipes. Alcohol is diluted with aloe or glycerin to make hand sanitizer so I assume this disinfectant for surfaces would be potent enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and everyone else is buying on Amazon so I guess delivery is very much delayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can try this video from Do It On A Dime https://youtu.be/aPc9R6kbhes I would trust her recipe more than just about anyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rhonda, I asked my husband ( a chemist) the alcohol has to be 60% (120% proof) or you can use 70% rubbing alcohol, or 1/3 C. bleach into 1 gallon of water. Maybe you could put the bleach/water in a spray bottle and use it that way? Every once in a while it pays to have a chemist in the house. Ha! The postal system has been really slow lately, We joke that out packages have a nice week long vacation in Detroit before arriving here. And the tracking is terrible! All it ever says is that it is in transit, then it says delivery is late. Sigh!Hope your package arrives soon!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered nestle quik and it took forever for it to come. I tracked it and it was last in Detroit about 60 miles away stayed there for about a week. we were tapping our spoons till it showed up at our door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the stuff to make homemade wipes but then ran across some at DG. The ones I want to try is a half roll paper towels, alcohol and dawn. A lady at DG said they have been using bleach, water with their half roll of paper towels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't have to publish this but I sent you letter and ask how the kids were doing and saw in post yesterday where you talked about the family,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm fast running out of material for masks. I was lucky enough to get a huge roll of elastic one day...spendy, but they did get it here on time. I also got some sort of shoe lacing which is more like a ribbon.

    I ran into this video...and it is a really fast mask. I am doing ties as I have one of those bias tape thingies, but there isn't any reason you couldn't use a thinner rope.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX7QWxSO6GA&list=PLaO6pA4EKRCl5beD5So8aDSqFdVZPIZ0G&index=30&t=22s

    However, after making a tons of masks and clipping all....those....threads, I will have a machine relatively soon that clips the threads at the push of a button and has a needle threader and and and. My Janome is around 20 years old and was an expensive machine in its day....but a thread cutter!!! I'm going to go a little more and get one that embroiders too...still $1000 less than the one I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a scientist nor do I have a science background. I filled an old container with a lid with cheap coffee filters and make a fresh bleach/water solution to pour over it daily. It only takes about 1/4 cup of solution to keep them wet. Then at night I drain the liquid, replace the top and pour more over it the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhonda, Jilly here. Use t-shirt strips for the elastic. Cut the length you want and then pull from both ends...it will roll. Saw this on the Laundry Basket quilt blog. I do not like the elastic as it hurts my ears.

    The Dude and I have been staying home as much as possible but when out is does not look like Californians are following the rules...typical.
    blessings, jilly

    ReplyDelete
  12. How disappointing about the elastic. I managed to get some from Ebay very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Rhonda,
    I ran out of clothesline, but I had cotton dishcloth yarn. I simply crocheted until I had chain about 60" long for each additional mask that I made. Do with whatcha got sister!
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐