If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Quarantine update #14 - this weeks to do list and more masks and their drama

Hello everyone 
I made a new list for this week and it’s not completed but I’ve made a lot of progress 




I sewed more masks and learned more about them too.  
When I first started making them more than a month ago, the advice said to use flannel on the inside so they will be softer on the wearer’s face.  Well, I wore a flannel lined one when it was 88 degrees outside and that mask was so hot!  Flannel lined masks will just not be a wearable option in Oklahoma during warm weather.  
That spool of elastic I ordered never did come ☹️
I made some masks with some lingerie elastic I had on hand.  The elastic is comfortable but is not suitable for most men as it has a tiny scalloped edge.  
I also made some masks using the 2 mm hair ties/pony tail holders.  I don’t like how they feel on my ears but my husband thinks they are fine.  
I’m now adding a wire near the nose to all my masks as they make for a closer fit and especially help to avoid glasses fogging up if the mask wearer wears glasses 🤓 



Our masks get laundered every time they are worn and they hang in the laundry room, right by the door to our garage, so we always remember to take some when we leave.  







We live in a university town and I made these with a scrap of school logo fabric.  
My husband wore the top mask into CVS to use their ATM.  When he came out, the lady in the car beside us rolled down her window and asked about his mask.  She wants some but I have no more fabric and can’t get any more right now.  
And the other masks are spoken for. 
She was very nice and I would of shared with her if I could.  

So if you’re sewing masks, especially if you are wanting to make a business of it, (I am not)  any fabric design that is popular in your area would most likely be a great seller.  
Also, people that wear masks often will need several as they need to laundered after each use.  

This may sound like I am out a lot but I am not.  In the last 6 weeks,  I have been inside Walmart 2 times, Aldi once and Lowe’s once.  


We’ve done a lot of yard work and gardening this week and I will share those photos tomorrow.  

Hope you are all fine.  
Our state and town are easing up restrictions a little this week and May 1.  
But my husband and I don’t plan to change anything we have been doing just yet.  

❤️ Rhonda 

11 comments:

  1. I have made us each 1 and Teigan 2 (so one at her house and 1 at ours). Need to make us a few more. Allen normally does the going cuz I am at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are nicely made. School items always go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In love your masks! I made just one got busy and haven't got back to it. Im a slacker compared to you! I think the nose wire is a great idea and your right about flannel being too hot.
    Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why people would love those masks. If we have to wear them might as well make them fun. You did a great job on them. And I'm happy to read that it's warm someplace in the country!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made masks for each of us, a couple for Greg and three for Nick. I only wear mine when we pick up school lunches and I do our grocery pickup. The kids are good about wearing theirs while we do the lunch pickup, but do complain about them being hot, and I did not use flannel.
    Today when we got lunches one of the ladies asked where I got mine. I told her I made it and asked if she needed some. She was wearing one, but said she liked the style I made. I offered to make her a couple and she accepted.
    Greg said he's the only one who wears a mask at work, but he's fine with that. He has a diagnosed heart condition now and is being very good about being careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am wearing a mask every time I go out and will continue to. I have been making some to coordinate with some of my clothes. If I have to wear them I might as well add a little flair. My newest masks have a piece of chenille pipe cleaner sewn into the nose bridge. It helps with the fogging issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirt gauze ... for inside the mask. It's what they used during the 1918 Spanish flu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! I got elastic and can ship you some from Central Texas. Send me an email texczech@yahoo.com. love your sweet lists. Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, Rhonda, we plan to keep to ourselves for a while...Florida is gradually opening up...

    I made a few masks but the most comfy ones are the bandanna folded ones...but also very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen folks selling masks, but I find it's a great way to just help people. I'd much rather give than sell them. I'm at a stand still right now since I don't know anyone else who wants any. For awhile I heard from several people. The hospitals in Joplin, MO want scrub hats for their nurses now.

    Be blessed,
    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐